Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife and kids want to try for catfish at Atwood some night since the water is so warm
I told her I have never tried catfish from a boat or even at Atwood, I know no one will give up their honey holes but......
Should I stay in the deep water in the middle of the lake? or bottom fish where the bays and main lake intersect?
Would anchoring in shallow bays and bottom fishing be more productive in this high heat?
We don't keep anything and my daughter has never seen a catfish, well on cartoons but not in real life.
Bait?
I will have kids so I figured we would use hotdogs or night crawlers, the kids may cry if I use live fish but I guess if live minnows will produce a fish then I can do it without the kids seeing me bait the hook.
As stated I don't want honey holes but a Dellroy or Dam end suggestion would help and type of area as in shallow bays, main channel, intersection of bays and main channel would help a lot
Thanks for the consideration

Edited to add: would drift fishing on the bottom be any good or would I get snagged up and lose to many hooks and sinkers to even bother with drift fishing?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well, if I were you. Find one of the shallow windblown points out there. I would concentrate efforts in 5-10' of water. Look for wind blowing onto or across the points and position accordingly to intercept fish moving onto the flats. If there is no wind find dropoffs nearest the flats and concentrate efforts up to 12' deep but, any deeper and you're getting into the "dead zone" in most lakes. If you have a fish finder it should make the task of finding marks in the areas I mentioned and concentrating efforts should prove easier. For a "kid friendly" productive bait, try using fresh raw shrimp and keep it on ice! Good luck, I saw some nice catfish roll under the shock boat this past fall and most of them around any of the points and shallow flats.

·
Banned
544 Posts
I'm helping this guy out through PM's.

I KNOW you know how to get some cats in Atwood. :)
See if you can help him out too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts