Atv Mowers

Discussion in 'ATV's' started by ying6, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Ok, I have no idea if I should be talking about this on here or not... but I was wondering if someone could help me.
    I am looking at a 1004 Polaris 500 Sportsman H.O.
    It comes with a snow plow system and a Warn 2500 Winch
    It also has the full hunter package
    With quite a bit of extras...
    Anyways, not only do I want it for recreational use I need a mower for 4 Acres of Land.
    I have been looking and found a 60 inch blade to pull behind, can anyone help me figure out if this is something I should really consider or am I wasting money with buying the blades.
    thanks
    Ying

2. Is that the finish mower model, or the trail mower model your thinking about? A guy down the road from me has the finish mower model, and he flys with it behind the atv. It cut's pretty clean for how fast he goes. You can't cut real tight around trees or other obstructions like you can with a riding mower.

3. I AGREE! The guy across from my parents flat out FLIES when he mows! First time I saw him, I was thinking he was just riding around his yard - then I saw the mower and was like HOLY CHIT!!! That guy is FLYING AND MOWING!!!!

4. It's a finish mower. I have quite a bit of land that is straight, with a little area where I would need to go around trees. Does the width of the mower exceed the width of the ATV and that is the cause of the more difficult close mowing? I have no idea about this, but would love to have something that is fast and effective.

5. If it's a 60" mower it will probably be wider than the atv, but that's not really the issue. The difficulty comes from the mower being on a swivel arm behind the atv, so when your swinging around an obstruction you have to be careful not to hang up/hit the mower on the obstruction if your cutting tight to that obstruction. You just wouldn't have real precise control for close trimming. I don't know how backing up would go either. But if your mowing mostly open ground, it would be fine. You'd just have to weed eat around obstructions a little if you want a really clean finished look.

6. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

How are the trail mowers are they like a brush hog? Can they handle knee to waist high weeds in a field to cut a path?

7. Ying6, My Dad has 4 of the 60 inch finish mowers. He uses them behind his 8ft finish mower, he sets them offset so he can cut about 22 ft wide. The ones from TSC, they are red hold up the best. There is another brand that polaris puts their name on that is complete junk! Ther spindle beardings go out like mad on them.

8. I am looking at a finish mower. There are brush mowers as well. Is there a website I can look up the different mowers?
    I would love to be able to do the lawn with an ATV as I could use it for multiple applications. I just want to make sure I get what is best for my situation.
    thanks for all the help
    ying

9. There are two types of mowers that are finish mowers.
    The one you show, the belly... the other is an attachment that runs behind. The second is less expensive, but the one you show really looks cool.

10. Mike, I wanted you to see the belly mower just because it would solve the problem of trimming around trees mentioned earlier.

11. Never realized that there are so many options. Looks like I have some thinking to do. Not only that, but I have to figure out if I should get the ATV or just a tractor. The ATV really does give me quite a few options. Let's be honest, kind've cool to have a toy as well.
    I just want to make sure I make a good decision that helps me with the lawn, shovel the drive and gives me a chance to work around the yard and not take up a bunch of space.
    ying

12. Ying, if you realy want a cool toy, go look at a rino or Rzr. Hinds on Rt. 23 has them. Very cool and you could take the wife for rides around the back 40.

13. Considering where I live, I'd have to say my most trusted possession is my 4X4 truck. A snow plow is nice to have (when I have the time to plow) but not a must have. I've made it out to the main road in flood waters up to the doors and 6' snow drifts.

Good luck on your decision.