Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My absolute favorite bird is the Baltimore Oriole. I hadn’t seen one in 15 years. I read somewhere that you can attract them in the spring by putting sliced oranges out. I figured it was a wives tale but tried it anyway. I put the orange out Sunday evening and today this guy showed up. He pretty much picked the orange clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Eagle Has Landed
139 Posts
Funny, I just had one showing up at my feeder about a week ago. I just buy a wild bird seed mix. Also, there has been an owl hanging out in the back yard perching and scoping out the creek and low lying swamp area in our backyard almost every morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
My absolute favorite bird is the Baltimore Oriole. I hadn’t seen one in 15 years. I read somewhere that you can attract them in the spring by putting sliced oranges out. I figured it was a wives tale but tried it anyway. I put the orange out Sunday evening and today this guy showed up. He pretty much picked the orange clean

Oranges to attract them and once they stay Grape jelly in and orange bowl will keep them happy until they leave in September.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We put a feeder out for the first time ever and have been getting a ton of birds. We had a male and female Grosbeak. I think it is the first time I have ever seen one in my life
We had our first orioles and red breasted grosbeaks this spring. GF put some halved oranges out last weekend. Both males and females so hopefully theY nest near our house.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been reading about them. They spend the winter in Central America and skuthern US then migrate north in the spring. Apparently they’re common but mostly hang out in the tops of trees which explains why they are not seen much.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts