close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ATTENTION! Ohio River Anglers

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Dec 6, 2004.

1. ODNR needs your help.

OHIO FISHERIES BIOLOGISTS COOPERATE IN MULTI-STATE STUDY ALONG THE OHIO RIVER

Angler Assistance Requested in Two-Year Study

ATHENS, OH – Fisheries biologists along the Ohio River have begun a two-year study of sauger movement and angler catch on the Ohio River. According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), Division of Wildlife, participating states include Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois. Cooperating biologists from these five states organized as the Ohio River Fish Management Team in 1990 to facilitate inter-jurisdictional fisheries management.

As part of the two-year sauger study, biologists began in November of this year placing colored tags at the base of the dorsal fin of Ohio River saugers. Each tag is numbered and includes the address for the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources (WVDNR), because biologists in that state have agreed to coordinate summarizing tag return data. Funding for this study is provided through Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration.

Anglers catching a tagged sauger are asked to provide the tag or tag number, the date caught, and exact location of the catch, as well as whether the fish was kept or released. The information can be mailed to WVDNR, 2311 Ohio Avenue, Parkersburg, WV 26101. If the angler would rather call in the information, the telephone number is (304) 420-4550, or it may be e-mailed to fishtags@wvdnr.gov.

According to Scott Schell, aquatic research biologist for ODNR Division of Wildlife and Ohio project leader of the study, information collected in this river-wide study will provide Ohio River biologists with an extensive understanding of movement patterns and passage through locks and dams of these important sport fishes.

Additional information can be obtained by contacting Scott Schell at (740) 589-9946 or Chris O’Bara at (304) 420-4550 in West Virginia.

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks Big Daddy for posting this. I think Mrfish also posted this same thing below! Looks like a bunch of you guys had the same idea! :) If eve get to fish the ohio and do catch one of these I will be sure to let them know about it!

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Click here Yeah, seems like I heard of it somewhere too *lol* :p

4. Just trying to put the word out. Got the release from ODNR today and posted it.

5. yum yum i eat tags and all!!!!!!!!!

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Too funny Husky! :p