Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love pets especially dogs,had them in my life since birth.I know a lot of you by reading these posts over the years feel the same way.I found out that if you love them take good care of them.Just like our diet there diet is just as important.The more I read about dog food the more I awaken.If you love your hunting buddy or lap dog please take time to look at what I found.Remember Robin from Bat Man and Robin on t.v.?Look up Gentle Giants dog food ,Burt Ward a.k.a.Robin has a dog food that not only is healthy for your dog it also gives more on average lifespan.If you have pets take a minute and take a a look.

·
Powderfinger
7,752 Posts
With our small dogs it is cheaper and better for them to buy the frozen chicken breasts and make our own food. Real meat and protein plus eggs make for a happy dog. Heck, he even eats green beans or peas and other plant matter mixed in. Compare that to the processed stuff put into bags or cans.

·
'Super Moderator'
12,303 Posts
Yes sir...Gentle Giants dog food is excellent for sure.

Fromm food is excellent as well.
Smaller company that can't supply the big chain stores but all their ingredients are from here state side and locally grown/purchased.
Think they've only had one recall in their history(which in the pet food industry is remarkable) and that was a voluntary recall on some of there canned cat food in which that particular food contained a bit to much vitamin E if I remember correctly which they caught at plant during testing.

FWIW...many of the very popular and highly advertised brands (surprisingly...especially some brands highly advertised/sold by many Vet. offices) are pure garbage for our pets.
Too, many of the 'treats' are garbage as well.
Keeping a bag of small carrots, cauliflower, cut apples or many vegetables/fruits in the fridge is a great healthy treat for dogs.
Caution: there are a few vegetables/fruits that can be harmful/fatal to our dogs:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Mrs. Whiskers took Ella, our rescue beagle shepherd to the vet and found there was some liver enzyme problem. Here's the recipe she took home, and the dog loves it:

1 hardboiled egg
1/2 cup boiled chicken shredded
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1/2 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup cottage cheese lowfat

Mix and refrigerate

that's a one-day batch. She makes it x3 dog eats morning and evening. She keeps it to three day size batch because the dog starts to trun her nose up after that. If it's fresh then no problem.

Dennis

Reactions: $diesel$

·
Registered
463 Posts
I now pay $100 a bag for Rx food. 9 year old Lab is diabetic. 2 shots a day... he is now another truck payment but I love him to death and will do anything for him.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I now pay $100 a bag for Rx food. 9 year old Lab is diabetic. 2 shots a day... he is now another truck payment but I love him to death and will do anything for him.
Thanks for the info!
We also have a 13yo lab that's diabetic for about 6 years now, went blind, got majorly depressed and wouldn't do anything, but Mrs. Whiskers took her to the canine opthalmologist without me knowing it and had her eyes fixed. When she could see agin she was like a new dog. She howls for joy every time she goes to the eye doctor for a checkup. The regular vet says Raven is the oldest diabetic large dog they have ever had in their practice, must be from the good care my wife gives her. Deb did a lot of research on canine diabetes, and came up with a feeding/insulin plan that works fantastic for our dog. I asked her to add her process:

This is Deb, I feed Raven, a 75 lb. Lab, Wellness Core reduced fat grain free dry dog food, and a can of Merrick grain free. I can't say its going to be any cheaper but she gets 1 cup of dry and 1 can of Merrick 2x a day, along with 2 shots of insulin. I hope you're getting your insulin from Walmart. $25. I also give her Cranberry dmannose chewables, great for urinary problems diabetics typically get. And methyl b12 that I get as a raspberry flavored liquid that I put a dropperful on her food. Grain free treats, bites of chicken, egg, beef is great. Timing the insulin with the meal is needed,.about 20 minutes to 30 later and you can do your own blood tests with a glucometer to see how your dog is doing. Healthy dogs will run like humans under 100... my dog typically runs 200 to 250 but thats ok... if i get much under 200.. she starts dipping to low... if you want further info.. let my hubby know.

Reactions: Uglystix

·
Powderfinger
7,752 Posts
Our dog also is diabetic. 2 shots a day of 10 units for a little 15lb dog. What I find interesting is the human insulin is $40 a vial for us while the same stuff intended for a human is $300-400 a vial.

·
Powderfinger
7,752 Posts
Our dog also has cataracts. But at $2000 an eye to fix... I’m not spending $4000 on a 13 yo dog.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Our dog also is diabetic. 2 shots a day of 10 units for a little 15lb dog. What I find interesting is the human insulin is $40 a vial for us while the same stuff intended for a human is $300-400 a vial.
Lewzer,

Our Walmart sells it for $25.

Dennis

·
Powderfinger
7,752 Posts
Thanks Dennis. I too checked Walmart price as it is available without a script. Cost depends on type.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
With our small dogs it is cheaper and better for them to buy the frozen chicken breasts and make our own food. Real meat and protein plus eggs make for a happy dog. Heck, he even eats green beans or peas and other plant matter mixed in. Compare that to the processed stuff put into bags or cans.
My 3-year old lab loves raw green beans and sugar snap peas...he'll lay outside the garden while I'm picking begging for me to toss some over the fence him.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I love pets especially dogs,had them in my life since birth.I know a lot of you by reading these posts over the years feel the same way.I found out that if you love them take good care of them.Just like our diet there diet is just as important.The more I read about dog food the more I awaken.If you love your hunting buddy or lap dog please take time to look at what I found.Remember Robin from Bat Man and Robin on t.v.?Look up Gentle Giants dog food ,Burt Ward a.k.a.Robin has a dog food that not only is healthy for your dog it also gives more on average lifespan.If you have pets take a minute and take a a look.

You can also request a prescription for dog meds that can be filled at a pharmacy. Beats Vet office cost of meds.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We also have a 13yo lab that's diabetic for about 6 years now, went blind, got majorly depressed and wouldn't do anything, but Mrs. Whiskers took her to the canine opthalmologist without me knowing it and had her eyes fixed. When she could see agin she was like a new dog. She howls for joy every time she goes to the eye doctor for a checkup. The regular vet says Raven is the oldest diabetic large dog they have ever had in their practice, must be from the good care my wife gives her. Deb did a lot of research on canine diabetes, and came up with a feeding/insulin plan that works fantastic for our dog. I asked her to add her process:

This is Deb, I feed Raven, a 75 lb. Lab, Wellness Core reduced fat grain free dry dog food, and a can of Merrick grain free. I can't say its going to be any cheaper but she gets 1 cup of dry and 1 can of Merrick 2x a day, along with 2 shots of insulin. I hope you're getting your insulin from Walmart. $25. I also give her Cranberry dmannose chewables, great for urinary problems diabetics typically get. And methyl b12 that I get as a raspberry flavored liquid that I put a dropperful on her food. Grain free treats, bites of chicken, egg, beef is great. Timing the insulin with the meal is needed,.about 20 minutes to 30 later and you can do your own blood tests with a glucometer to see how your dog is doing. Healthy dogs will run like humans under 100... my dog typically runs 200 to 250 but thats ok... if i get much under 200.. she starts dipping to low... if you want further info.. let my hubby know.
Thanks a ton for the info! Noah is starting to get cataracts and I want to make sure I give him the best care. He truly is an amazing dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts