attempted run n' gun,LMR

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Wow! The morning rush is really bad down along rt 32. I had no idea! Me and AJ were limited to running round bottom till the traffic died down and ended up off rt50 in a deep pool w/ a strong flow at the top but no wipers there or the other 2 places we stopped.I got a nice smallie and then a smaller one and then hooked into something large and powerful that was pulling against the drag set for the 15lb line I was using for wipers. It fought much like a smallie but very big;short, powerful runs,bulldogging and headshaking. It never surfaced and never really took off like a wiper,too fast for a drum...I dunno.I guess what I'm saying is I lost it. Right as I was pulling it up from the depths for a look it pulled loose.Oh well.It was fun,just wanted to see what it was after a good fight.
    We ended up in Loveland and found a large school of shad behind the funeral home in a deep rocky run . I got whacked hard and missed the only hit just as my cast touched the water. I was getting all my hits at the end of the swing all day and was not prepared for that quick hit. It was after 10 by then and we called it a day for wipers and smallies.
    I ended up going back out w/ AJ to CC to fish muskie. No hits or even follows. Talked w/ another guy who fishes it a lot and says he was'nt getting them either. Thats fishing,eh? TC1

2. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Hey TC1, Its a good thing you have a good excuse for driving by and not stopping in to say hey. The stripes are on the move for sure. Scouting report from several spots say no signs of bait up in the hard water. I saw some fish working way back in the pools but could not get to them. To deep to wade and lots of trees. The roll cast was to noisey and put them down. Might be time to change tacktics as the water cools. Thanks for the offer to head up stealheading and to join you guys the other day. My madness should settle abit next week so I might sneek out then. S

3. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

I looked at the map and saw by the bend in the river in loveland would be shady for a lil while still (it was,I got hit and missed it) so we blazed on out to the last stop of the 'gun.We were still wadered-up when you saw us wave goin' by. If I had found them or had a rpt I woulda stopped also but nothing I could rpt on. Even our last good spot where you did so well,which had fish in as of Sun, was empty.TC1

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Yep, I was there the other day and found nothing up in the spot but dinks the one decent fish I hooked came from slower pool inbetween the main run and secondary where you found em. The bait I saw working was down stream in slow deeper part of the pool closer to the access. The down stream run looked really nice but I got there late and just did a quick pass to check it out. I have hit a few near where you were in the past. Let me know when your coming down again and maybe we could change up the game a bit and see how we fare. S