Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
August 20th. I picked up my brother around 09:30 for some catfishing on the Ohio River. We started putting our lines in the water around 10:20. There was a refreshing down river breeze and fast current at our spot. At 10:45 my brother hooked into a fish, it was a Sheep Head Perch (drum). It hit a chunk of thawed out Shad, it measured out at 26 inches and 8lbs. 2 oz.. Since it was hooked not swallowed the fish was healthy when returned to the river to fight another day.

We had 6 rods out and used a large variety of baits; thawed shad, skipjack, seasoned shrimp, chicken breast, hot cocktail sausage. No other action, not even a tap for the rest of the trip. Headed back home around 13:30, at least my brother caught a fish. I only just got a lot of fresh air and sun shine.

I do believe we will be trying out a local county lake on our next catfishing trip. Since there seems to be very few left at the spot we fished for years. I know it will easier for him to walk to and from the car at the lake instead of the river as well. We cannot do any worse than what has been going on the past 2 years at this spot on the river.

·
The Fish Feeder
1,522 Posts
I was out last Saturday night from 9 to 1am. Only one bite on skip jack and wasn't much of a bite. Hoping for better luck this weekend.

·
Banned
553 Posts
I haven't been out to the Mighty O for a while, busy around the homestead. Did slip out to the Mud River last week and and it was living up to it's name, Serious chocolate milk, maybe an inch of visibility. I managed one small Channel and a handful of missed bites.

The beers were going down easy, there was a nice hatch of mayflies, and a surprising lack of mosquitoes. A right pleasant evening despite the slow action.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts