Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been perch fishing at Ashtabula? I haven't seen any threads lately. I would like to try perching tomorrow and thought they should be biting around there. We have been doing pretty good at Conny in about 73 feet of water but "Bula" is closer and would save time.

I would appreciate any information that you would be willing to share. Not looking for exact locations but just a place to start.

Thanks
Fat Bill

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Bill we launched out of bula yesterday but went towards conni. We got our fish in 75 FOW just west of the floating city. We went back to the west to try for some walleyes. They are gone.

On the way back we saw the perch pack (small) in 73 foot straight north of bula. We stopped to check marks thinking we would try the perch closer to bula next time. Dropped a couple test lines and caught very small perch but we were still 3 miles east of the main pack.
Back at the ramp there was only 15 trailers in the parking lot. One boat that was pulling their boat ahead of us and had their limit perch plus a bonus walleye. I could not see the size of the perch. He said they caught the walleye while perch fishing.

Hope this helps a little for your decision. Sorry I could be of more help.

John

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
John,
I was wondering if there were any Walleyes left out east. I've been away on a business trip and haven't been out in two weeks. Maybe see you at E72nd in a few weeks for the nite bite. Good luck!

Jeff

Bill we launched out of bula yesterday but went towards conni. We got our fish in 75 FOW just west of the floating city. We went back to the west to try for some walleyes. They are gone.

On the way back we saw the perch pack (small) in 73 foot straight north of bula. We stopped to check marks thinking we would try the perch closer to bula next time. Dropped a couple test lines and caught very small perch but we were still 3 miles east of the main pack.
Back at the ramp there was only 15 trailers in the parking lot. One boat that was pulling their boat ahead of us and had their limit perch plus a bonus walleye. I could not see the size of the perch. He said they caught the walleye while perch fishing.

Hope this helps a little for your decision. Sorry I could be of more help.

John

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Went Sunday, didn't start fishing until 4:00 PM. NE of Ashtabula breakwall, 49 fow.
Couldn't count the fish caught, kept 17. All 9" plus, 8 were 12-13, really nice fish.
Hooked more jumbos with #4 hook and 2 shiners per hook.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Went out Sunday NE around 8:00 and dropped anchor in 50'. Fishing was slow but somewhat steady. Bite died around 11:00 so we moved out to 62' where we saw a couple boats catching steady. Didn't take long before we were also but wasn't long because what wind we had died as well as the bite. There was 4 of us. Ended up with 72. 10 were over 11", one FO and rest over 9". I'd guess 20 throw backs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts