Ohio Game Fishing banner

Ashtabula Sunday

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  mercuryjoe 
#1 ·
What a great day to end the eastern summer fishing. I love fishing when it is all for fun and not prefishing for a pattern. So Frank and I headed out to the 02 line straight out of the launch and started to set lines.

All summer long we use worms. I don't know how many flats we went thru this summer. Today in my mind I was going to use cranks. It didn't matter how many fish I was trying to catch because I was fun fishing. It also gave me a chance to tinker with some homemade lures. Right out of the box the fish started to hit some cranks. #2 @ 112 was hot.

Frank was running a double willow program on dipseys. I knew I had only a half hour before he had them dialed in. Pink panties #3 @ 140 and #2 @112

Cranks and worms stayed even most of the morning. We got to the 05 line and the marks were gone. We picked up and pounded the waves back to the 02.5 line. Made the first set and 3 rods went off at the same time. We eached grabbed one and the third line was just going the opposite way. :D After a double scoop Frank was dealing with the run away. It was at 240 then. I turned the boat and chased it down. It was a nice 10-1/2 that was hooked in the gill / cheek.

The cranks started to catch back up taking some real nice ones.

I even got to screw with some funky set-ups!

We finished with 23 eyes only keeping our 12. Cranks and worms wer just about even for the day. Man are the fish chunky and big! I could not believe hot thick the fillets were tonight. One heavy cooler! The best speed was 1.9 today. I hope we can get a cooler like this one today for the Huron tournament. LOL

It is time to head to the West for Huron. Man what a great day to end the summer out east. We are so blessed to have a fishery like this one.

I think I saw Whacker and many other OGFers today. Meatwagon I didn't realize that was you in the dark while launching. Frank told me that was you. I hope you got them today. Good to see Big Johnson launching when we were pulling in. Nice also talking to you Bret.

Thanks everyone for your fishing reports this summer. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and video's.

See less See more
#4 ·
I remember a few years back when we fished your bday on my boat we fished your cranks and smoked the trucks. Those cranks will definetly be getting some swim time come huron time. The one salamander you gave me looks like a pack of pit bulls chewed on it and it still fishes. Can't wait its gonna be fun.

#7 ·
Nice to see your report john haven't seen one for a long while was wondering if you were walleye fishing lol.
That was us that set up by you for a second pass we needed 5 more got them pretty quick saw you taking a pic of one when we went by.
Keep those reports coming. Especially right before October 5. :). Good to see you on this forum again. BD

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#9 ·
I might have seen you guys out there in the green boat. Had a nice day goin till we got a "little" tangle with a wire line out there. :( Somebody lost 400' of wire with a deep diving plug on it with a perch hooked on the plug. Some of those frisky perch can spool a guy I guess. :D

#10 ·
Thanks guys,

I didn't want this come off like some info-mercial for the lures. Its nice to try some things you not normally do during tournament season. :p Its nice to experiment when it is just for fun. I get just as much satisfaction out of making a worm harness.

I had always thought a larger deep diving bait on a dipsey would make the dipsey flip over and not run right. To my suprise it worked great. It did change the dive curve a bit. Nice not to reel in 350 feet of wire!:D The other thing I learned is the you can run back a deep diving bait like 50' then clip to a downrigger down at 40'. This kept the fish from getting shy of the downrigger ball. It worked much better than a short lead and a deep ball depth. Always good things to learn when fishing against the "A" team guys. Those guys have some many little tricks it is just not fair!:D

Gary it has been hard doing a report. You guys have been smoking them all summer and so many great fishing reports every Saturday and Sunday. I'll be watching you guys on the 4th. ;)

Scott I remember that day. That was alot of fun. I learned alot that day from you with the snap weights. That black and green one was hot. I am glad it is still catching. I hope to make some more of those little Kuffers again. I owe you one. I thought I heard a rumor that it was working great after dark. :D Scott did walleye whacker buy your old boat?

Andy, I am glad it was lost in a fish and not the bottom. :p I was fishing with Dixie Larry out of 72nd and I pulled out this little copper bait. He asked what that one was for. I told him I made it for steelies but thought it may work on a walleye. Two minutes out a steelie grabbed it and broke it off 30 seconds later. The dang thing kept jumping right in our face! We laugh about that.

I hope everyone can get out this next month. The fish are really putting on weight and looking to feed. The night bite should be unreal this year. I think there will be some BIG fish caught!

#15 ·
Eyedreamn, That was a hot depth on the rigger this year. We would do a 50' lead of ball and let the crank dive the rest of the way into the fish. I loved watching the rod tip pop up and then back down from the fish pulling.

Rik really nice to meet you also! I always forget you are right here in Chardon.

Great Jeff ! LOL there are those guys out there I just can't beat in tourneys. They have all those little tricks!:) Frank and I only do well in the night bite tournaments because we fish very minute of the darkness.:D It eventually works out that we are in the right place at the right time. I got that idea from Gary , Nicholas , Joe and Jared fishing their night shifts in Huron. :D

The only trick I may have is that I have a bait for the night bite I have never posted a pic of. I am hoping that will be my dark horse. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.