Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Lakeshore and ran straight to the 08, set up up to troll to the 06 on a 245/250. Picked up a two man fairly quick, then ground out a 3rd amid numerous dropped fish off the wire program. All together went 18 for 25, with one small chromer thrown in which also spit it back at us. Washing machine later in the day made for a not so fun return to harbor with malfunctioning tabs.

Fish still marking great out that way, but quite a bit more scattered than last wknd. Early leads back 310' with RR's and monel, dropped em' to 340' later in the day thankfully helped us finish out with some really nice quality. West troll was OK, -different story trying to go back... 3.5 dipsey firing well at 165' early, then at 185-210 late in the day. Top RR's today included grape ape/pink lemonade,BN Barbie. Dipseys firing on any color early on as long as it was stuck on a Gold blade, slowed up later in the day despite dropping them a bit further.
E/NE wind past few days seems to have taken care of whatever minimal temp break was there. If the X-4 was correct, we had 74.1 down 55 today, 74.5 on top, whereas last Sunday saw a degree or two vs. surface temp at that same depth. Tons-o-junk up above 55'. Only consistent walleye fishing was found on the BTM for us today, with most active pods holding tight with deep schools of smelt. Terrible surface current coupled with NE/E wind made for some challenging fishing. We definately paid our dues for the 3 man. Back at it further East this Saturday.

Scott

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Good job,and excellent report..thank you,how deep you figure those 340' of wire is?
In addition are you running the 800 deep diving Reef Runners? We have not been able to get our steel line program working for the life of us this year. We tried to determine about how deep they run by running them aground early in the year we ran bottom at 40 FOW with the 800 RRs on only 150 foot of line, and 30 FOW with 110 foot of line. Obviously trying to get down to 55 it isn't going to be a straight line dive curve, but I figure 220 foot leads would get close to the 50-55 range, so I guess I am surprised by the 340 foot leads on RRs, is it the current that required such long leads to get down there or are you running smaller RRs? Obviously I still have a lot to learn, would appreciate any additional insight into our issues.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I run a wire program and have been for years. I always figured with 300' of wire and 40' braid and a 6' fluro leader on the end I was getting into the 30'+ range. I did some research this year and most charts show 10' of depth for every 100' of wire so that supports what I always thought. The only difference is the leader and the lure. So if your RR is diving 5' with 46' of line out, your getting to 35' down with 300' of wire, 40' braid, and the 6' leader. And 300' of wire catches a lot of fish! Good luck out there...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
...and I run Husky Jerks not RR's which don't have as much of a dive curve.

Thank you for the response, so it sounds like I was going about it correctly by seeing how much line it takes to hit bottom at 30 and 40 feet and then just extrapolating that ratio to the rest of the depths I am trying to reach. Scott **** must be using a different size RR or the current was causing so much more line to be let out. Also, why do you go with 40' of braid in front of the fluro leader? We run the 6' leader, but we just snap swivel the steel to the fluro. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Thank you for the response, so it sounds like I was going about it correctly by seeing how much line it takes to hit bottom at 30 and 40 feet and then just extrapolating that ratio to the rest of the depths I am trying to reach. Scott **** must be using a different size RR or the current was causing so much more line to be let out. Also, why do you go with 40' of braid in front of the fluro leader? We run the 6' leader, but we just snap swivel the steel to the fluro. Thanks again!
I was taught to put the 40' of braid in front of the wire. I can only guess it was to keep the wire as far from the lure as possible. I also break down my rods and don't like to put the 180 degree bend in the wire.

One thing I do know is that with six wire lines out in the boards, turning is a pain in the butt! Getting tangled with wire is bad....

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
I was taught to put the 40' of braid in front of the wire. I can only guess it was to keep the wire as far from the lure as possible. I also break down my rods and don't like to put the 180 degree bend in the wire.

One thing I do know is that with six wire lines out in the boards, turning is a pain in the butt! Getting tangled with wire is bad....

I hear that! We have had some nasty messes on our hands! Thanks for the insights!

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
You are A LOT DEEPER Than 30ft with 300ft of wire and a deep diving plug...

Its more like 42-47 with the smaller baits and 45-52 with the deeper baits...

I run a wire program and have been for years. I always figured with 300' of wire and 40' braid and a 6' fluro leader on the end I was getting into the 30'+ range. I did some research this year and most charts show 10' of depth for every 100' of wire so that supports what I always thought. The only difference is the leader and the lure. So if your RR is diving 5' with 46' of line out, your getting to 35' down with 300' of wire, 40' braid, and the 6' leader. And 300' of wire catches a lot of fish! Good luck out there...

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
You are A LOT DEEPER Than 30ft with 300ft of wire and a deep diving plug...

Its more like 42-47 with the smaller baits and 45-52 with the deeper baits...
I used to question the depth as well. I've read that you don't add the depth of the lure as the wire drag takes precedence over the lip and other times to add the depth of the lure to the wire depth. I guess the latter is more accurate?

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Seems correct...it's speed dependent since the weight of the wire is what is helping drag that lure down, but unlike lead core, wire is thin...I think mine is about same diameter as 12lb mono...

10' deep for every 100' of wire plus crankbait dive depth is how i estmate depth.. 350 ft of wire = 35'. + 15ft for a kaboom deep shiner = 50' troll depth..!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good job,and excellent report..thank you,how deep you figure those 340' of wire is?
Rik, I was targeting marks at 55-60' primarily in areas around bait suspended 10-15 off the bottom. Turning was a real chore and I played havoc keeping the tow lines tight when doing so with the current up top. That E/NE wasn't too much fun.

With Reef 800's (properly tuned) I have had decent success using 7:1 curve as a ballpark.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts