Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading up from Cincinnati and are walleye fishing 15 miles due North of Ashtabula River. I'm planning on using down rigger in 75 FOW 50 Ft deep trolling worm harnesses and spoons. How far back of the riggers should I run the bait? or if anyone has anything system better please let me know!!! thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I fish Ashtabula a lot and all I run is inline weight behind Offshore inline planerboards pulling harnesses. It works for me. Not as sophisticated as some setups and junk can be a problem but it puts fish in the boat. Right now there are walleye from the 02N line on out. Just have to find the active fish. I don't have any personal experience with downriggers. The fish are mostly deep now, on bottom or not far from it. Purples and pinks have been hot for me. Junk seems to like anything in chartruse.

·
Mongo
515 Posts
There are walleye from the 58 line north. All I use is inlines too. Run antifreeze back blades and pink back blades and you should be fine. Run 3 oz back 110 to 150 feet should work. A 4 oz back 90 to 120 should also work. Just check your bait and watch the boards. Dipseys are also good and run big willows on them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
152 Posts
For the last month or so I've been running my bait 50-60 feet behind the ball out of Ashtabula and Conneaut. Been going with the longer distance since the fish don't seem to be overly active.

·
sparkeye
730 Posts
Check my post about down riggers and cranks in the general disc. Misdirection gave me a great idea on using down riggers and harness that sounds productive I'm going to try this weekend

·
Registered
47 Posts
10 to 15 behind the ball is all you need. No different than a bait behind a dipsey. Keeping them choked in like that keeps them from coming up in your dipsey spread as well. Just remember if you are running diving baits, they will be below the ball so adjust your ball depth accordingly. BTW, there are fish at 02 line out, 38 to the 50, no need to go 15 miles. We had 4 tickets between 8:30 and 11:30 on monday. Big boards, flat lines, dispeys and 'riggers on harnesses, spoons and cranks, speed 1.9. If your on active fish, everything is working. Last Fri/Sat/Sun out of Conneaut we had marginal results, North of the perch pack 04/05 between the 31 and 35, lots of good marks, but not real active. Took fish on just about everything we ran, but they were not active like the fish in Ashtabula over the weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts