close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

As I may be in the market for a newer truck lets open your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok heres some models i have in mind give me your good and bad pts based off ownership or your experiences. Like problem areas, fuel economy, overall performance and boat towing. Also feel free to recommend other modles
    May be in the market to buy a 99 to 03 if the price is right and mileage around 50K

1) Ford F250 4x4 extend cab
    2) Chevy Silverado 1/2t 4x4 extend cab
    3) Toyota tacoma 4x4 extend cab
    4) Yukon
    5) tahoe
    6) expedition
    7) s-10 4x4 extend cab.

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

#1 may be an ok truck
    #2 :)
    #3 never !
    #4 I want one ! :D
    #5 dependable !
    #6 ehh maybe
    #7 great everyday vehical

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Don't look over a Dakota man ;) Tough vehicles.

4. Ken

Ken KLN

I have a 2001 f250 super crew cab 4x4 with a v10 bought it used. At 37000 miles second gear went out ( was in Fla). 10 to 12 mpg in town 14 to 16 mpg on freeway.
    Pulling a 25 ft camping trl about 10 to 15 mpg on freeway depends on speed and if hilly or not. Has a lot of power with the v10 also has a 373 rear end.
    Only other problem I had so far was a noise from the front axle. It has lock out hubs and the plastic piece that the lockout sets in needed replaced. I bought an extended warranty with it ,once it paid off only cost me 100.00 for the 2300.00 worth of repairs.
    Ken

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Can't go wrong with a GM :D

6. Had a '96 Dakota Club cab until last summer, never had any major problems, all routine maintenance. Towed my ex-wife's brother's 21' boat a couple of time with no problem.

I still have the tonneau cover for that style truck from those years. If you get a Dakota, you are welcome to it. Just come get it. It is in great shape, except for one snap. For that matter, if anybody could use that tonneau cover, just PM me. It is in my attic taking up space and is free to whomever.

With two dogs at 100lbs each and the wife expecting our first baby in March, I traded the Dakota in for a '04 Ford F-150 Ext. Cab (2-wheel drive). The Dakota just wasn't enough room. I haven't had any complaints about the Ford. I have talked to a few other owners of the same truck and they had no complaints.

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

For 4 door trucks- as tested by the editiors:
    #1 Nissan Titan- an all around GREAT truck. First time ever that a brand new truck has won the title.
    #2 Ford F150 SuperCrew- Great truck, sturdy performer and very comfortable. A super second choice.
    #3 Toyota Tundra- Good truck, does everything well but does not stand out above any other truck. A good buy for anyone who wants a truck.
    #4 Dodge Ram - They liked it because it says "TRUCK". Big grill, big body, big bed, big engine, etc. It's the Man's Truck. Does it all well.
    #5 Chevy Silverado- last in line, overpriced and dated. It did a good job of being a truck but suffers from GM's habit of over-plastic-itis. It came in last on the list but was the second highest priced truck of the bunch.

You can definitely see the brand loyalties on this board! LOL " Can't go wrong with a GM"??? That is about 180° from my opinion. I am a Ford man and always will be. My SuperCrew is the best vehicle out there for me period. Hauls the boat, the materials, the kids and the wife and rides like a car on vacations. I love it and will have another if I ever get rid of this one.

Just my 2¢ worth.

UFM82

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Anything Ford is the best you can get!

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Ford F250 or Chevy2500HDBe prepared for heavy duty maintenance costs. Brake pads, etc... wil cost you more.

UFM82-what editors are you referring to?

I stay away from rice burners. Keep American jobs and profits in America.

Comments from Ford truck owners that I know seem to show quality of Ford products has taken a downturn in the late 90's-2003. Bill seems to be changing that though.
    Chevy's-pre 1996 quality sometimes suffered.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Why a guy looking for trucks would be looking for a F250 or a Tacoma/S10. What do you need? Why would you buy one of those super poopies when you can also do with a small pick up. And which do you want, a truck or a SUV? :confused: Might want to think about what you really want and really need.

Lewzer, hate to break the news to you, but Toyota trucks are built in America, :p unlike a lot of Ford, Chrysler, and GM cars. I am sure all the guys at the Toyota plant down in Kentucky appreciate that brand of bass ackwards thinking. And Chevy's pre 96 quality suffered? As if their post 96 is any better! Ford has taken a down turn??? When has there ever been an upturn??? Their quality, like all of the big 3's quality, is at best adequate on average (some models much better than others) even today. They talk about improving their reliability, then go on to issue massive recalls seemingly every month. GM just put out another on this week for brake and steering failure.

If you don't have a brand preference, buy whatever suits you. I always advise people to spend the extra dough and buy foreign. Unless you like to live upside down on car loans and get rid of them every 2 years, then you might be okay with a big 3 hunk of garbage.

11. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I personally have a Ranger and I like it. I will get another after this one unless an F150 is in the budget. My Step-dad has an F150 and has a crap load of miles on it. He likes it and is has been good to him. My uncle also has a F150 Supercrew I think it is. I know he likes the Fords. I guess you can call me a ford man too!

12. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Shuvlhed1, Thanks!
    I'm sitting here swabbing my tongue because it's bleeding so bad. :eek:
    You're absolutely correct! Toyota's are made right here in the good old USA. There's plenty of parts that are manufactured overseas, in Canada and in Mexico that go into all the Domestics. And if I'm not mistaken, "Chysler" (Dodge) is owned by "Mercedes Benz"! :rolleyes:
    Also, the range of trucks listed is pretty extreme. I would figure the load rating you need and base my discision on that criteria.
    I currently own a "00" Toyota 4Runner with the 3.2L (3200cc) V6 engine. I towed my last boat (approx. 4200 lbs.) to lakes Erie and Cumberland several times each year and never had a problem with it...as a matter of fact the only thing I've done to it is change the oil and filter regularly. Another thing one may what to check is the reliabilty as well as maintainabilty satistical data. Find out what the shop visit rates are for each vehical...this info should be widely available via the internet.
    Lastly, I'll also be looking for a new truck in the spring and will have to look at the big three only because most of the imports tow capacity is limited to 4-4.5 tons. I've rented both the 2500HD and the F250 w/Triton V10 to evaluate which one is the better of the two. In my opinion both are certainly beast with plenty of tow and hauling capacity...but the Ford had the better ride and was more comfortable overall. The Chev. had better gas milege with the Vortex engine and the trailering package was nice too with the retractable mirrors. I can not speak on the Dodge Ram as I haven't had a chance to look at them closely but will in the next couple of months.

13. I too am hooked on the Ford Ranger. I currently have a 1994 with 151,000 miles on it, & never did anything besides routine maintenance. Body is still great & it runs great. Giving it to my 16 year old boy, so I also will be buying in the spring & I'll get a Ranger or F150.

14. Everyone makes good ones & bad ones!Buy what you like & pray for a good one.Good luck :)

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

You asked for an opinion, so here goes:

#1 - Nissan Titan. Tested and rated better than any of your posted choices. Plus, I have found Nissan factory service to be better than my GM factory experience. The service prices are comparable as well. The Titan has the most interior space, best torque for the engine class, a factory spray-on bedliner, tie downs and bed cover. Read some Road and Track or other reviews and they all LOVE the Titan. Some scored it better than the F-150. Did I mention it is cheaper in price than the others?

#2 - Nissan Frontier. I have one and love it. The new generation will be even better with a 4.0L v-6 producing 265HP. Its an all-around good truck with the best suspension package I have ridden in. Just ask Marshall.

I am obviously biased. I don't care for GM products or Fords. My second choice would be the Toyota Tacoma. That is just a good truck.

My advice would be to buy a slightly used model as you will save MUCH money. Good luck!

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I bought a 2004 Ford F150 extended cab, long bed, about three months ago. It rides like a Caddilac, and pulls my 4,000 pound rig like it isn't there. Very roomy in the cab. Gas mileage isn't great, but I didn't buy a 5.4 lt engined truck to save on fuel economy.

I also have a 95 E350 that has 230,000 miles on it that still rides/drives like new. I had to replace a fuel pump in that vehicle two years ago.

There are a lot of nice trucks out there. Spend a day going to different dealers and drive a bunch of them. There are some hefty incentives on new trucks now.

17. I'm with truck - I've owned GM, Dodge & Ford trucks. I think they all make both good and bad products.

I've never been brand specific; just buy whatever I like best at the time.
    I didn't have any mechanical trouble worth mentioning from any of my trucks (Lucky I guess).

From my personal experiences with GM, Dodge & Ford, I'd rate them like this so far:

1) Ford
    2) GM
    3) Dodge

I've talked with guys from Ford, GM & Honda that will not buy their own products and they have 1st hand stories why. I know a couple other GM guys that would rather die than drive anything else.
    Just try not to buy a "Friday Afternoon" truck and you'll be fine.

I currently have a '03 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0 V6 Edge with the factory tow package and a factory installed limited slip rear end. It's been great so far (35,000 miles) and it pulls anything within reason. My boat is only 1500-1800 lbs loaded, but I don't even notice it's hooked to me. I average 19+ miles/gallon & it is 4X4 on the 16'' rims and larger tires.

18. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Ok alot of good pts and your right i do need to decide what i need. I want a super truck but i drive over 70miles a day which would kill me on gas. So thats why the smaller trucks are in there good gas milage. I liked the suv i had a jimmy. But the more i evaluate my situation with driving i will probably by a small truck which will still pull my little boat and when i get the big bass boat of my dreams i will buy a bigger truck.
    I don't want this to turn into a american VS forgien cars deal believe me i know that all to well as my dad retired from GM and also have family that works there still.
    The toyotas are great on gas and last long time.

What i need is something to pull a 14 ft fiberglass boat that gets exceptional gas mileage is 4X4 and will last. As i will use the truck for back and forth to work vehicle as well which is 70 miles round trip.

19. F4F,

You have to decide what you truly wnat and need. When I bought my Chevy, I listed what I wanted and what I needed. When it all came down to it, I test drove the Chevy, a Dodge, a Ford, and a Toyota. If you are buying new, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them plus the new Titan. But if you buy a newer used truck, it all comes down to what they're asking for it and how well it was maintained by the previous owner. My truck so far has been absolutely what I wanted it to be and needed it to be. But drive as many trucks as you can, and the right deal will come along. And I wouldn't hide the fact that you are test driving a lot of different trucks either.

Eric

20. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Jerry, I went from a 2000 GMC Jimmy to a 2001 Yukon XL. I will now drive one of these monster SUVs until either I:

-Can't afford the gas anymore
    -My towing needs change (I lug around the 21' Jolly Roger behind it)
    -GM comes out with a better version

My Yukon is equipped with the SLT trim package, 2nd row captains chairs (recline), third row bench, and has that nifty auto-ride load leveling rear suspension.

I love this thing. It does take a big drink though and has quite a thirst, so be advised. It is a great great vehicle though. Take out the last row bench and fold down the 2nd row captains chairs and you can easily fit a full-size matress in there (voice of experience) with room to spare. It is surprisingly easy to drive.

They are expensive though, even used. I got mine cheap due, amazingly so. If you guy used make sure you buy from a GM dealer so you can tack on the GM extended service plan.

Don't overlook the Trailblazer or Envoy. Both are great trucks and will tow your boat just fine.