Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions regarding arrows. I shoot a 60lb, 27.5" draw Diamond. I have Gold Tip arrows with 4" vanes that I bought in 2010. In the past couple of years, I have gone from 6 arrows down to 3. It's about time to get some more. Gold Tip doesn't make the exact arrow that I have so it got me thinking about change.

What is a relatively inexpensive arrow?

Anyone shoot the RedHead BlackOuts?

What are the benefits of 2" vs 4" vanes? Would a switch help accuracy?

Anyone use the QuickFletch wraps? What's the difference between Quickspins and Twisters?

Broadheads...I have used Rage but they did not deploy consistently with my set up and my Thunderheads were a PAIN to get to fly straight. Any suggestions for a reliable, easy to shoot broadhead that would work with my set up?

Thanks,
Blaze

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm sure that the blackouts will be fine. I'm sure they are made by one of the big name company's and sold under the redhead name. I just picked up a dozen bemans for $80 at Fishermans Warehouse in Columbus. They sell for $100 in catalogs. I've stuck with4" vanes until now. I have lots of arrows if you want to buy 6-12 of them. I have tried blazers in the past, but I always liked vanes. Vanes pick up more blood when they go thru a deer. I rely on the sign on my arrow to tell me a lot about the hit. But, 4" vanes are getting harder to find. I am going to try out the new arrows today and see if the blazers grow on me. I don't shoot rages. Way too many potential problems for me to trust them. I like rocket sidewinders or fixed blades. Any broad head will work that is 100 percent reliable and accurate. It is much more about your skillsets and decisions about the shot that make for a clean kill.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Many quality arrows out there.I personally shoot gold tips and love them.As for broadheads,ANY should fly just fine for your set up.You're draw length and poundage isn't producing enough arrow speed for expandables except maybe the low ke rages.My Hoyt shoots 300fps and I still shoot fixed blades.Your issue sounds like bow isn't properly tuned.Get arrows w/Blazer vanes as they steer broadheads better and then take to a shop and tune your bow.Or you can do it yourself w/a little research on walkback tuning and broadhead tuning(youtube).Just make sure your cams are properly timed(probably good shop needed for this).Everything else you can do yourself to get that bow shooting straight w/proper arrow selection and just about any broadband.My suggestion on broadsheets is SLICK TRICK.They cut plenty,are cheap and fly SUPER.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
269 Posts
I shoot a diamond dead eye, 63 lbs at 29" draw. The redhead blackouts fly great with and without my 3 blade 100 grain muzzys. I was told that gold tip makes the blackouts anyways, just like diamond makes the redhead bow. They are affordable and the 2" vanes seem to manage the broad heads just fine. I stick to fixed blade due to my experience with Murphy's law.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
307 Posts
The Quick Fletches are ncie and convienient at times but aren't as durable. They will rip off very easy when taget shooting if you hit another arrow. I've always used the QuickSpins instead of the Twisters. I use a heavier arrow and try to pack a punch and use Rages and I've used some other mechanicals. Sounds like it's not tuned well like someone else has already posted or your fixed blades should be flying correctly. Maybe look into a mechanical that is easier to open if you're dead set on a mechanical broadhead. I think the Spitfire style folds back instead of sliding through like a Rage and might open with less kenetic energy. Fishermans Warehouse will guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I shoot a Quest. I am currently shooting Gold Tips and love them so far with the 3" vane. I shoot fixed blades (Thunder heads) for one reason. When your out hunting, your odds are against you. Smell, movement, your shot, etc.... and who needs to have a mechanical broad head not open when you have that shot you have been waiting for. Just my thinking. I like the Thunder Heads and they have never failed me but I might venture off to another to see if I like others. I agree with the others about your bow, you MAY have a tuning problem. I hope all works out for you and you find what feels and works for you. Everyone has there own preference and what works for one, doesn't work for another. Be safe and good luck this up and coming season. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts