Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
I am what I eat.
1,645 Posts
Most teachers are good people. But I knew some that I wouldn't want anywhere near a gun with my kids or grandkids in the school. NO TEACHER OR ADMINISTRATOR should be allowed to have a gun in a school unless they've had a ton of psychological screening and training.
But what about the bus drivers? Careening down the highway, in what is essentially a huge battering ram filled with children, at any speed they choose. I hope they are all psychologically vetted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
But what about the bus drivers? Careening down the highway, in what is essentially a huge battering ram filled with children, at any speed they choose. I hope they are all psychologically vetted.
Yes this is correct, while we are expanding the worry factor. Just how sharp are those kitchen utensils again, what tensile strength steel. Could land a dangerous blow in the hands of the untrained, the unvetted.
Let us know contemplate the quarter staff (mop handle) in the hand of the untrained janitor (martial arts practitioner). How will we ever know if they have...

·
Registered
465 Posts
After reading all these posts I have come to the conclusion is easiest and best way to protect kids in school is fence, locked doors and ID's just like some companies and government buildings. If bad guys can't get in the odds of a event go way down and we don't have to rely on teachers or guards to protect them.
The police in Uvalde should be ashamed of themselves for waiting to stop the intruder. Lives could have been saved if they acted.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
You guys ever notice the only stories you see pop up on news feeds of this are teachers saying they have nightmares of other teachers having guns wouldn't go to work if other teachers or staff could carry. They say an armed teacher has no chance of stopping an armed attack on the school.

You get the idea. They don't show the thousands of story's from teachers and staff IN favor of this. Personally I would feel light-years more comfortable sending my son to school everyday knowing that, should something happen. My boy isn't waiting on the police to get there even though the cop shop is on the same road as my son's school they still can't always get there right away.

Just a few weeks ago they arrested a kid from tusc. County at Edison Jr high here in Perry that showed up with a gun because he had a beef with someone at the school. I personally know they female officer that made the arrest. She is also the SRO for our school district. Notice you don't see this all over the news or the multiple other ones that are stopped by our guys and girls in blue.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You guys ever notice the only stories you see pop up on news feeds of this are teachers saying they have nightmares of other teachers having guns wouldn't go to work if other teachers or staff could carry. They say an armed teacher has no chance of stopping an armed attack on the school.

You get the idea. They don't show the thousands of story's from teachers and staff IN favor of this. Personally I would feel light-years more comfortable sending my son to school everyday knowing that, should something happen. My boy isn't waiting on the police to get there even though the cop shop is on the same road as my son's school they still can't always get there right away.

Just a few weeks ago they arrested a kid from tusc. County at Edison Jr high here in Perry that showed up with a gun because he had a beef with someone at the school. I personally know they female officer that made the arrest. She is also the SRO for our school district. Notice you don't see this all over the news or the multiple other ones that are stopped by our guys and girls in blue.
I sure do!!
also believe it’s a part of our problem. Never hear of the armed homeowner/ driver/ CCW holder that had repelled an attack.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I sure do!!
also believe it’s a part of our problem. Never hear of the armed homeowner/ driver/ CCW holder that had repelled an attack.
Those stories are out there...actually just read about one the other day...they just aren't brought to light, which is BS...you should hear or read about it a lot more, because it does happen frequently...

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
One cannot shoot up a school if one cannot get inside said school with a gun. End of story. Spend the money on security measures and throw the rest of this nonsense out the door. My wife wouldn't teach at a district with armed teachers and staff, nor would she carry a firearm.

I'll say this again...you can't shoot up a classroom full of kids if you can't get into the classroom. The teacher doesn't need a gun, the janitor doesn't need a gun, the principal doesn't need a gun. The school needs to be secure. Period.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
One cannot shoot up a school if one cannot get inside said school with a gun. End of story. Spend the money on security measures and throw the rest of this nonsense out the door. My wife wouldn't teach at a district with armed teachers and staff, nor would she carry a firearm.

I'll say this again...you can't shoot up a classroom full of kids if you can't get into the classroom. The teacher doesn't need a gun, the janitor doesn't need a gun, the principal doesn't need a gun. The school needs to be secure. Period.
The issue with that is theirs ways around lock systems. The best security systems in the world get hacked on a regular basis. All locks do is keep an honest person honest.

The only way to cure a psychopath that would shoot up a school or anywhere for that matter is with a lead injection. Preferably between the eyes but a full clip to center mass will do just as well.

·
June 3rd 2023 the next date
10,872 Posts
I sure do!!
Had to draw 1 time and put my hand on my firearm 1 time in 12 years, both times in a parking lot...both times the perp ran like a baby.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The issue with that is theirs ways around lock systems. The best security systems in the world get hacked on a regular basis. All locks do is keep an honest person honest.

The only way to cure a psychopath that would shoot up a school or anywhere for that matter is with a lead injection. Preferably between the eyes but a full clip to center mass will do just as well.
I kinda like option 2 better
of course if it were up to me i would wound the sob then let the parents stone them to death
But thats me

·
I am what I eat.
1,645 Posts
Yes this is correct, while we are expanding the worry factor. Just how sharp are those kitchen utensils again, what tensile strength steel. Could land a dangerous blow in the hands of the untrained, the unvetted.
Let us know contemplate the quarter staff (mop handle) in the hand of the untrained janitor (martial arts practitioner). How will we ever know if they have...
My point is, people seem to have an irrational and emotional fear of guns and horrors they hypothetically could cause, while ignoring real every day dangers. Statistically, gun violence in schools is way, way, way less prevalent than drug related injuries and death, yet I don't hear the same emotional response. Why is that? The same goes for cars or school buses. People are letting their emotions dictate their reality, and that needs to stop. We need decisions made on facts, not emotional fantasy.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
My point is, people seem to have an irrational and emotional fear of guns and horrors they hypothetically could cause, while ignoring real every day dangers. Statistically, gun violence in schools is way, way, way less prevalent than drug related injuries and death, yet I don't hear the same emotional response. Why is that? The same goes for cars or school buses. People are letting their emotions dictate their reality, and that needs to stop. We need decisions made on facts, not emotional fantasy.
If only guns were half as dangerous as people believe they are. I sat my carry gun on the table one-day, told it to go shoot.... It never moved. Funny how that works

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow could this go on for days . How many times have you heard of someone trying to get into a military base ? It's got a gate and you need an ID to get in ,problem solved . I totally agree with the fence and ID option .It might not stop a bad guy but it Shure would slow him down long enough for an SRO to get to the location or just an extra minute for law enforcement to get there . Also when are they going to go after the turds on social media that these demented individuals talk to and make there brags about doing these terrible things .Make them accountable and keep an eye on that group of individuals also . You know the old saying Birds of a feather ! Go after them and get off my ass because my firearms have yet to jump up and hurt someone .It ain't the gun people !

·
Registered
280 Posts
I went to a public school. Every morning before class we we were herded across the street to the Catholic Church for mass. We had nuns teaching four grades. In 4th grade boys had to learn to say prayers in Latin even though we had no idea what we were saying. My neighbor thought it went I’m a cowboy, I’m a cowboy, I’m a Mexican Cowboy. In the public high school, we had to give up a study hall twice a week for religion in a separate building. I don’t think religion should be in public schools. If you allow one religion then all are acceptable. I doubt most would want most Middle Eastern religions or Satanists in school. There are parochial schools for religion.
I'm not religious, but I believe religion should be taught in schools (All religions). I would much prefer this to some of this "Woke " crap they are pushing right now.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Fully agree. We can play what-if's all day. For example, a long time ago when I was in school, an older principal decided to use a board (paddle) on a junior. He missed and hit the kid in the back of the head. The kid got off the floor and decked the principal. Lots of mighta's in this situation, and I DON"T want to debate the right or wrong of it one way or the other. The point--I'm glad neither one had a gun. A lot of shootings are governed by emotions. A teacher with little training is subject to those emotions. A teacher faced with a killer MIGHT respond appropriately. Or they might miss and shoot a kid. Or they might run away. Or--you get the point. People lose it and bad things happen--period. As a long time gun owner who has had relatives who have shot and been shot by others, I DON"T WANT TO SEE GUNS IN THE SCHOOL. And before you ask, some of them were shot by accident and some on purpose, and none of it involved the armed services. I'd rather see the security described below.

All that said, put it in the hands of the local school district voters, not some politician in Columbus or Washington. You wanta bet 80% of them would shoot down a resolution to arm teachers (pun intended)? If the voters say yes, then I'm good with it--it's on their heads and parents have a choice to put the kids in a different district.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.