Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I am a retired Federal LEO and former military officer who served in Vietnam, so I have some experience with folks who carry guns for a living.and have had to use them. I've seen lots of trained LEO's and Military drop and curl up in a ball when the xxxx hit the fan. I agree that schools need to be "hardened" to safeguard our children in these troubled times, and agree that the security package should include a few who are selected to carry weapons. But those who are selected/hired to carry guns on school property have to be well trained and psychologically suited for those positions, Marksmanship is important, but not the most important qualifier, IMHO, the most important factor is the ability to act decisively and provide leadership and direction when everything around you is chaos. I'll leave it up to the professional heed shrinks to figure how you do that selection, but simply allowing teachers who want to volunteer for training and carrying guns is not the solution.
How many times can I give a "thumbs up" to the above?! Very well stated sir.

Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
Like I said, I've seen lots of LEO's and others hesitate and fail to act - I agree we need armed folks in the schools - all I'm saying is you don't want volunteers! Ypu want trained professionals who will act!!!!
I'll take trained professionals as option #1. But since that seems like it's not an option, I'll take what we're talking about. Better than nothing.

·
I am what I eat.
1,645 Posts
Every class room has a fire extinguisher. How many teachers are trained fire fighters? Are they expecting a fire? No. But, it's nice that the extinguisher is there if it's needed.

Also, if a person doesn't have the mental capacity to safely handle a firearm, should that person really be a teacher?

·
Registered
124 Posts
MIlitary or LEO have balked at pressure means a teacher school staff member shouldn't act, they may balk also.

Could just as easily read, if a MIL/ LEO would balk , the teacher staff member could do no worse. They are an immediate resource and volunteered. Give them a chance.

I am a retired Federal LEO and former military officer who served in Vietnam, so I have some experience with folks who carry guns for a living.and have had to use them. I've seen lots of...
Thank you for your service(y) 🇺🇲 , very well informed post as is the high majority of this thread. There is no way to lock down the future and make it risk free. The Dr. needs to always be right, and that procedure will have 0% complications. Look at driving, the LeMans race course around here:oops: is a bunch of drunks. What's that yellow box hanging off the pole with 3 lights for? Oh, lookie I can read, ''Spin Tires On Pavement'' haha
Hopefully the whole idea works, the bad idiots will move to another state to act out their hideous crimes. Or, surrender in advance, get some treatment!

·
Registered
87 Posts
You want to protect the children in our schools the only thing that stops a psychopath with a gun is another person with a gun, not laws/red flag laws, not feelings, not banning assault rifles etc. Criminals and psychopaths will get guns outside of the law if needed.

When you finally see a hand full of psychopaths entering our schools trying to hurt our kids and they are stopped by armed staff, others will think twice of doing it again. They love unarmed targets with the best probability of them making a name for themselves. HB 99 Provides the school districts the ability to defend their kids and most will ensure those that are armed are capable and willing. It isn't forcing anyone to arm themselves, it affords the ability for those that want to protect the kids in our schools as needed.
A teacher said it best, I believe. She said armed teachers won’t have a chance against an intruder that is wearing bulletproof vests, etc.. The teachers would normally be outgunned with intruders being armed with AK-47s, etc.. I
I get confused on the thinking that it is OK for a teacher to shoot and kill an intruder, but the intruder can’t get the death penalty, in a lot of states, for shooting kids and killing kids…

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
armed teachers won’t have a chance against an intruder
How much chance does an "unarmed" teacher have against an intruder ?
I'd think my chances would be at least slightly better if I was armed, that's why I carry whenever possible.
Good luck

·
I am what I eat.
1,645 Posts
Kidding right?
No, I'm not kidding. It's harder to learn to drive a car safely than it is to learn firearm safety. Would you consider someone who couldn't learn to drive a car safely be smart enough/qualified to be a teacher?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think some of you are overthinking this new law. Yes teachers are there to teach, obviously. Yes the deranged shooter may be heavily armed and have body armor. Most schools staff is probably 20-60 people. Are you telling me that there aren't 3-6 of those staff aren't capable of having a positive influence on a active shooter situation. Throw in a couple security people that most schools currently have. That's 6-10 armed people, very familiar with there surroundings, that can change the outcome. And obviously other protections will be done. This is just one part of improvements. But when the s*** hits the fan, those 6-10 people could be the difference of not being sitting ducks. I think that's all those of us in favor of this law are saying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like I said, I've seen lots of LEO's and others hesitate and fail to act - I agree we need armed folks in the schools - all I'm saying is you don't want volunteers! Ypu want trained professionals who will act!!!!
Weren't the cops in Uvalde "trained professionals"? They stood there with their thumbs up their asses. A teacher has a bond with those kids. I think they'll act.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,955 Posts
Weren't the cops in Uvalde "trained professionals"? They stood there with their thumbs up their asses. A teacher has a bond with those kids. I think they'll act.
Have two nieces that are elementary school teachers. Both have grown up around firearms and actually enjoy shooting. They both think of the students as 'their kids'. Guess it's that motherly instinct. I believe both would step up to defend their students doing whatever it takes to do so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A teacher said it best, I believe. She said armed teachers won’t have a chance against an intruder that is wearing bulletproof vests, etc.. The teachers would normally be outgunned with intruders being armed with AK-47s, etc.. I
I get confused on the thinking that it is OK for a teacher to shoot and kill an intruder, but the intruder can’t get the death penalty, in a lot of states, for shooting kids and killing kids…
Keep in mind the bulletproof vest doesn't cover the whole body, there are many other targets to have access to immobilize the intruder. Better chance with a gun to do something to protect the kids then without one when one of these low life's come looking to hurt our kids. The laws need to reflect "proper" punishment for anyone that survive one of these shootings that they instigate. Life in prison should not be an option. A similar fate to what they did is what they deserve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think some of you are overthinking this new law. Yes teachers are there to teach, obviously. Yes the deranged shooter may be heavily armed and have body armor. Most schools staff is probably 20-60 people. Are you telling me that there aren't 3-6 of those staff aren't capable of having a positive influence on a active shooter situation. Throw in a couple security people that most schools currently have. That's 6-10 armed people, very familiar with there surroundings, that can change the outcome. And obviously other protections will be done. This is just one part of improvements. But when the s*** hits the fan, those 6-10 people could be the difference of not being sitting ducks. I think that's all those of us in favor of this law are saying.
We’ll said Kip.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The libs have taken God out of the schools years ago. And now we see the results of those idiotic decisions over the last decade or 2. How many shootings were there before the libs made these life changing decisions?
I went to a public school. Every morning before class we we were herded across the street to the Catholic Church for mass. We had nuns teaching four grades. In 4th grade boys had to learn to say prayers in Latin even though we had no idea what we were saying. My neighbor thought it went I’m a cowboy, I’m a cowboy, I’m a Mexican Cowboy. In the public high school, we had to give up a study hall twice a week for religion in a separate building. I don’t think religion should be in public schools. If you allow one religion then all are acceptable. I doubt most would want most Middle Eastern religions or Satanists in school. There are parochial schools for religion.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Most teachers are good people. But I knew some that I wouldn't want anywhere near a gun with my kids or grandkids in the school. NO TEACHER OR ADMINISTRATOR should be allowed to have a gun in a school unless they've had a ton of psychological screening and training.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.