Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Public Schools, Private Schools. Where? Arming teachers in Ohio Public Schools is new, at least to most of us.
Public Schools, Tuscarawas County. I know of 4 districts. Not all staff is armed and they are very tight lipped about who is, and that's a good thing.

As for hiring professionals, isn't that why many schools have Resource Officers? Nothing new there either.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
As a teacher the last 28 years, this is beyond asinine! More guns is not the answer. Trust me, there are plenty of teachers that SHOULDN’T be armed, training or no training. How about addressing issues that can make a difference - more comprehensive gun laws, access to mental health services, etc.
Sure let’s have more laws for the people that don’t obey the laws. Asinine! Arm them if they want to be armed. Train them well. Of course it’s not for all teachers. It’s no different than any other person in the state. Some want to be armed and some don’t like guns at all. They are protecting themselves as much as the kids. Some of my coworkers were armed and some weren’t. The schools need to graduate from being soft targets. I do agree that mental health issues need to be resolved instead of just ignoring them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Schools in my area have had armed staff for several years now. School boards voted and approved, trained by our Sheriff Dept. Is this something new??
The new law requires educators and other school staff members who want to carry a weapon to undergo no more than 24 hours of training, Previously they required more than 700 hours. I pretty significant difference.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes the new law requires 24 hours of training Don't compare to police & military training. It's apples & oranges. They only need trained in certain areas. If more is needed Im sure it will be added. And yes mental health services, gun laws, background check process all need improved. And I'm sure they will be. This new law is a step in the right direction. Good people protecting kids is an improvement.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would much rather have my kids teacher armed, if that's what they choose to do. Unfortunately this is the situation our kids and teachers are in. Should a student steal a gun from a teacher, he or she will have to live with consequences. If the teacher choose to carry and hesitated, well at least they had a chance. It's never going to be perfect world.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i, am in agreemant with ohiotuber. i was Infantry, Vietnam '68. I, remember my first fire fight. I was beyond scared. We had a lot more than 24 hr. of training. Belive me, when the lead starts flying, the pucker power, is at is highest. Let's talk about another thing. If a teacher does carry. Will that teacher be supported 100%, no mater what happens. No, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Even if a stray bullet may hit a student. To talk about it is easy, to do it, that is another story.

·
Registered
696 Posts
By no means am I against teacher being armed but there are going to be a lot of accidents. I think it would make a lot more sense to put the time and money into keeping the would be shooters from gaining entry. I hate the thought of turning schools into prisons or TSA checkpoints but if that’s what we need... Fully monitored Access control, security, metal detector, etc. We can also stop a lot of this before it happens by seeing the huge red flags that every shooter has years in advance. ...All just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am & was an armed VietNam Infantry Vet (1 1/2 years in the boonies w/4th Infantry). I am married to a retired teacher, my youngest daughter & her husband also both teach. Even being trained (more than 24 hours!) soldiers, I saw more than 1 who couldn't pull a trigger when they needed to. Shooting at targets, game, & humans are 3 different things. Not all can perform #3 & most of the teachers I have known & currently know probably couldn't or might hesitate & that could mean their own demise.
Put me in the "hire professionals" camp.

Mike
I agree its a whole different world when it comes to shotting them centermass VS a pepper popper (loli pop metal target)!

·
Registered
566 Posts
i, am in agreemant with ohiotuber. i was Infantry, Vietnam '68. I, remember my first fire fight. I was beyond scared. We had a lot more than 24 hr. of training. Belive me, when the lead starts flying, the pucker power, is at is highest. Let's talk about another thing. If a teacher does carry. Will that teacher be supported 100%, no mater what happens. No, woulda, coulda, shoulda. Even if a stray bullet may hit a student. To talk about it is easy, to do it, that is another story.
I would be willing to bet they have not thought about it that far. I am all for protecting children, but not when policy has been thrown together haphazzardly!

·
Registered
323 Posts
If it was your child that was killed by these cowards YOU would quickley change your mind on this subject!!!! Arm whomever wants to sorry but its the world we live in today! Police take time to respond by then its too late and think your community could have that brave police dept that ulvade(sp) had look at how they responded!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No reasonable person wants to confront anyone with a gun. No reasonable person believes that a "Gun Free Zone" sign will protect anyone, ever.

Any reasonable person knows that the fastest way to end a criminal shooting spree, is an armed defender.

Laws are broken regularly, and we must be prepared for that.

Simply reality.

Man up.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I say "let the teachers who WANT to carry" do so. Also, the law should protect and back the teachers who carry 100%.
This situation isn't something the teachers want to even have to deal with but it simply the reality they are faced with.

When I was working, I had a very disgruntle employee who stated he would love to come in and shoot both me and another manager. This is a guy would do every stupid act possible to screw his life up, but he liked to blame everyone around him for his situation. I was younger and in decent physical shape when the situation happened. I confronted him and the situation was resolved.
As I got older, my employees base went from 10 people to 60 people. At 60 years old I was no longer a match with employees half my age. After a few more incidents I decided I had my fill and I got my carry permit. (The other manager already has his) Luckily nothing ever happened but if something did we at least had an option better than crouching under a desk waiting for our turn to be shot.
To all the people who don't want to allow the teachers any chance to protect themselves and their students, I say go out and get the training and show up at the schools and put yourselves in the position to protect our friends and families, just leaving them sitting in a helpless position isn't a fair option.

21 - 40 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.