Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Most teachers are good people. But I knew some that I wouldn't want anywhere near a gun with my kids or grandkids in the school. NO TEACHER OR ADMINISTRATOR should be allowed to have a gun in a school unless they've had a ton of psychological screening and training.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Fully agree. We can play what-if's all day. For example, a long time ago when I was in school, an older principal decided to use a board (paddle) on a junior. He missed and hit the kid in the back of the head. The kid got off the floor and decked the principal. Lots of mighta's in this situation, and I DON"T want to debate the right or wrong of it one way or the other. The point--I'm glad neither one had a gun. A lot of shootings are governed by emotions. A teacher with little training is subject to those emotions. A teacher faced with a killer MIGHT respond appropriately. Or they might miss and shoot a kid. Or they might run away. Or--you get the point. People lose it and bad things happen--period. As a long time gun owner who has had relatives who have shot and been shot by others, I DON"T WANT TO SEE GUNS IN THE SCHOOL. And before you ask, some of them were shot by accident and some on purpose, and none of it involved the armed services. I'd rather see the security described below.

All that said, put it in the hands of the local school district voters, not some politician in Columbus or Washington. You wanta bet 80% of them would shoot down a resolution to arm teachers (pun intended)? If the voters say yes, then I'm good with it--it's on their heads and parents have a choice to put the kids in a different district.

One cannot shoot up a school if one cannot get inside said school with a gun. End of story. Spend the money on security measures and throw the rest of this nonsense out the door. My wife wouldn't teach at a district with armed teachers and staff, nor would she carry a firearm.

I'll say this again...you can't shoot up a classroom full of kids if you can't get into the classroom. The teacher doesn't need a gun, the janitor doesn't need a gun, the principal doesn't need a gun. The school needs to be secure. Period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.