Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It is very easy to say, arm the teachers, save a child. I retired from a school district out side of Warren, Ohio, in 1999. The last 2 years, it was always in the back of my mind, that a shooter could gain access to the building. I know of at least 2 times when students brought a gun to the school, it was handled internally. Today , of course, that would not be the case, thankfully !!
I coached a competitive Rifle Team at the school for 16 years, if anyone had to carry back at that time, it would have been I. I realize times have changed, but if I had to get up in the morning, and be ready to teach my classes for the day, and put a 9mm in my pocket, it would have been a tough pill to swallow. An outside intruder was one thing, but the thought that I would have to disable a young student, is a totally different thought. Teachers are supposed to teach, so much is dumped on them already. Pass your school levies, hire armed professionals for EVERY building !! Let the teachers teach.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As an ex-teacher (adjunct professor), I'm all for it. Voluntarily. The 24 hours of training is not enough, IMHO.

My wife is an ex-teacher, also (k-12). She would not be someone that should carry.

Professionals would be better. Retired LEOs, retired military, etc., but if all we have is volunteer teachers, it's better than nothing.

·
The end is near
9,533 Posts
It is very easy to say, arm the teachers, save a child. I retired from a school district out side of Warren, Ohio, in 1999. The last 2 years, it was always in the back of my mind, that a shooter could gain access to the building. I know of at least 2 times when students brought a gun to the school, it was handled internally. Today , of course, that would not be the case, thankfully !!
I coached a competitive Rifle Team at the school for 16 years, if anyone had to carry back at that time, it would have been I. I realize times have changed, but if I had to get up in the morning, and be ready to teach my classes for the day, and put a 9mm in my pocket, it would have been a tough pill to swallow. An outside intruder was one thing, but the thought that I would have to disable a young student, is a totally different thought. Teachers are supposed to teach, so much is dumped on them already. Pass your school levies, hire armed professionals for EVERY building !! Let the teachers teach.
#45 suggested the same thing. Hire professionals and pay them with leftover plandemic monies. But if a teacher is capable, train and arm them also.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I am & was an armed VietNam Infantry Vet (1 1/2 years in the boonies w/4th Infantry). I am married to a retired teacher, my youngest daughter & her husband also both teach. Even being trained (more than 24 hours!) soldiers, I saw more than 1 who couldn't pull a trigger when they needed to. Shooting at targets, game, & humans are 3 different things. Not all can perform #3 & most of the teachers I have known & currently know probably couldn't or might hesitate & that could mean their own demise.
Put me in the "hire professionals" camp.

Mike

·
The end is near
9,533 Posts
Sounds like buck fever to me. I think it's amazing what your body and mind are capable of when confronted with a certain situation.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The first time a gun is taken from a teacher and used by a student everyone will be changing their tune on this subject.
Valid point and unfortunately will happen at some point. Fortunately other staff will still respond quicker than LE. Not a perfect solution, but an improvement. The hired professional would also be an improvement, but don't know if it's financially feasible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Professional security great, voluntary armed teachers, great. I agree it wouldn't be for every teacher. Also how about setting up one room in every school as a remote police officer office? In and out at random times, could pop in at any time all day all week. Could be the same police officers that are currently on staff with local jurisdiction. I believe the presence and random unpatternable timing of a police officer in and around the school would deter most any spineless monster that would contemplate doing something hideous. Their presence would also probably be positive with student awareness and engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The first time a gun is taken from a teacher and used by a student everyone will be changing their tune on this subject.
Yea i understand this one and it probably will happen at some point in time someplace..
But i do think the teachers if givin the training should have the choice...
And i gotta agree with one of the earlier posts...we will arm the teachers but we wont paddle the kids...
Its sad when you stop to think about it

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.