Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is life better in your 40ties? I'm curious because I work all the time, my knees are starting to feel different, my hair seems to want to grow out my ears instead of my head. I'm getting older - how do you guys cope/deal with that. I don't even enjoy fishing anymore because I'm thinking about what I should be doing or what needs to be done.

I'm tired of it, ready to retire broke and I'm only 34

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
...im in my thirties too..as for feelin like you just think about what needs to be done..sounds to me like you have a family and your keeping your priorities straight..thats how it should be! lol! I have a family too and they come first, along with house repairs,yard work,overtime,paying bills... it can be stressful at times...if you can, find a place thats close to you that you can fish, even if its just for 30 minutes a few times a week, that always seems to help me when i feel like everything else is takin over. hang in there man!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just think how she feels and just wait for club baseball, club volleyball, soccer, basketball. It eats up your schedule. Now you start getting a promos and which is worse. Making the money to get a good boat but no time to use it veteran events. Come 60's. where you at.

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
no choice. keep on grinding. try the 50's. will make the 30's nostalgic. the "good old days'. enjoy it. I actually took a 1-1/2 hour nap today instead of going fishing this afternoon. stay as healthy as you can NOW! Stuff catches up with you later on.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Never wish your life away it goes too fast as it is. I think its pretty normal to feel like you do at your age. Keep your priorities straight and enjoy the time with your kids while they're still young.
I'm in my 60's now and at times I feel like I'm just as busy now as I was before but now I just take the time and do what I want. It's just life.

·
Charter Captain
1,211 Posts
im 33 and work 6-230 come home do all my yard work and what not and still fish 2-3 days a week. im sore and tired all the time but i figure when i do get old is when ill slow down and rest! im not ready to get old so i do all i can now and never worry about tomorrow! everyone has their own way of looking at life and i wont waste much!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I'm 57 and I was behind everyone in my trade, telling me just wait till I'm 40,45 ,50....it seems I was always 5-7 years from feeling what they were at those ages....but it sure has caught up to me now....and looks like you are feeling way to early in your age....but everyone ages different and the way they deal with pain that comes from that
good luck....I did find fishing and hunting helped with the stress when you could find time to do it

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing.

Nobody on deaths doorstep ever wished they'd worked more, but most will wish they had spent more time on the important things; like fishing, fishing with you kids, fishing with the wife, etc (i'm only half joking)

I turned 37 this month. What I know is this: hangovers last longer by at least a day, any of my 4 boys wanting me to play is far more important than what I had planned, I'm going to go fishing and get some me time ( is good for the head and the heart), take care of yourself because you are not the only one depending on you, don't sweat the small stuff, and work smarter not harder.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
593 Posts
From Rick "Misfit" Seevers, sig...RIP

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside with a smoke in one hand and a beer in the other,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming....WOW -WHAT A RIDE!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I turned 61 this year, have been active all my life, also did foolish things when I was young (and invincible) riding dirtbikes/snowmobiles. Much, of what seemed then, as minor aches/pains have turned into arthritic joints... it's not fun not being able to do, or enjoy what you once did without thinking.

Having grandsons now and not being able to do the things I wish I could make me reflect on how different I would've been had I known the outcome.

DO NOT consider retiring "broke",, what good would come from that ? and take the best care of your health as you can and it should be better for you in the later years. Also, consider your elders as experienced...not just old.

·
Registered
479 Posts
40's are freaking awesome!
I don't care what someone thinks of me
I have money because I busted my butt in my 20's and 30's
Married so I don't have to shave legs unless I want too

I would not change my age for anything. I like where I am in life and If you don't like me that is your problem not mine.

Time to Fish yet?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Everyone over 50 is tellin you the truth. I'll be 55 Friday and was always the guy wanting overtime, workin' my butt off, listening to younger workers whining so the 30's will look like a cakewalk. I got hit by a car when I was 34, used a walker for 6 months but got right back at it as soon as I could. My body had enough and finally suffered the heart attack. So please do as others have said, and take care of yourself. The fact that you even bring it up is a sign for you and at least you had the courage to ask about it.:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
im 35, 3 kids and by the end of this year they will be 9,10,11 and we are always on the go, baseball year round, football, bowling, bball, and traveling for all of them, barely any time for me and the wife maybe once every 6 months we get time for just us, we are always pulled in 3 different directions, yards rarely mowed and is always high when i get a chance to mow it, luckily i have a loving wife who is on top of scheduling things cause it would be a mess if i did it, but one thing about all of it you wont hear me complain cause i wouldnt change it for the world, and when i do get to go fishing i go fishing with the family and never leave the kids behind and take them and let them fish while i watch and help even if i do fish i let them reel in my poles and catch fish on my gear, nothing better for sure!!!

·
Ranger188
1,580 Posts
All I can say is that I'm 60 years old and I'm having more fun now,and enjoying life more than I did at any other period of my life.The true meaning of life is you get out of it what you put into it,make the right choices through your 20's-50's,and you'll have both the health and the money to see you through your golden years.I'm semi-retired from my own business,I maybe "work" 10-12 hours a week now,my kids are all grown and have their own families,that leaves me with nothing to do but go fishing all the time.Would I give it all up to be in my 20's and 30's again? Not a chance.......well maybe-lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
With that many kids your yard should look like better homes and gardens!

Put those kids to work :D
Carpe Diem

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think the time line for most is different but for me I spent my 20's having fun and making mistakes. My thirties was spent fixing what I screwed up in my twentis. Im 42 now and finially feel like im starting to settle in a little.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts