close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are you in the North American Fisherman magazine?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bkr43050, Dec 10, 2004.

1. I get the North American Fisherman magazine and was reading the latest issue last night. I came across a cool artcle about a guy who was being hunted down by a great white shark while fishing from a surfboard on the California coast. The article mentioned that the guy now lives in Columbus. I was just curious as to whether this guy is on our site. He seemed to be an avid fisherman if he was willing to ride the surfboard out into the ocean and fish from it.

For those that did not read the article this is basically how the story went. The guy paddled his surfboard about a quarter of a mile out into the ocean in search of sand bass. He hooked one and while bringing it in he spotted this shark dorsal fin approaching. He free spooled the reel and laid his whole body up on the surf board and watched this shark pass below him. He then paddled back for the shore. He again had the shark circle him. He finally made it in to the waves and hopped on one and surfed to safety. That sounds like a bit to much of a thrill seeker for me.:eek:

2. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

and that is why i have a pontoon. i did not see that article, i am a life member NAFC.
    tim

3. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Avid??????? I think it was a typeO, probably meant rabbid :eek: :)

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

You know, I was reading an article in F & S several months ago about this guy who did the smae thing with just a flotation wetsuit. He was fishing for big stripers off Cape Cod and he caught a 50lber once. Those guys are purely nuts!

5. catking

catking Banned

That's a little much :D .What gets me is the people I saw swimming at NIGHT, while I was in Florida . At the same time some 100 yards down, the shark fishermen were fishing from the pier................................And there were some big sharks caught ( some up to 6 feet )

6. The article goes on to say that once he hit the shallow water he came up on some surfers heading out and he told them that he had just encountered the shark. At least these guys had the brains to turn around and call it quits for the day. The guy estimated the shark to be at least in 10 foot long. Shortly thereafter they reported other sightings of large sharks in the area.

I read that article about the striper fisherman as well. I thought the same thing about him. That is purely nuts. Some people just need to live on the edge I guess.

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

Man, I read that too.. ANd id a big shudder!!!!!

They say from a sharks view,
    a person on a surf board looks like a seal from underneath!

I'm crazy and daring when I fish.. but not to that extreme! :p

8. if i remember correctly that striper guy did it at night? the writer was freaked out by the whole experience because he went out with him.

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Yumpin' Yiminie !! Just when you think you've pretty much heard it all!! ;)
    And if they spread bass attractant on them maybe they could draw some?! :eek: :D

10. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Yea, I'm a life member of NAFC, that wasn't me this time but since you mentioned OGF'ers in the magazine... I've gotten in there 2x, this being my favorite for my hawg gil' I got a few years back. Issue was March 2002, page 14. I remember at the time some other people from the 'former' site doing a post on which mags and issue dates they were in.
    [​IMG]

11. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Adam, you need to put that in our new record book! ;) That is one hawg 'gill.
    Bet it fought better than a 6# bass. ;)

12. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Yea that fish was a blast.. i have a story about that catch on my site... at the time i knew it was nice but really didnt appreciate it as much as i would now- those trophy fish are few and far between... Shakedown has it on the record book for the site... was happy to share the catch!
    :)