Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have to do the "I am human" crap when ever they log in? It started today for me, makes logging in a pain.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Computer automatically does it when I shut down internet. It is like locking a door so people can't sneak in.

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
Not me. I usually stay logged in on this site. I imagine it keeps the robots off the site. Before there were 10+ always lurking around.

Reactions: garhtr

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not paranoid but believe in protecting myself. I don't leave my house unlocked when I am not home so why would I leave an open portal to my computer when I am not using it. People's computers have been accessed by using this backdoor method for years. You hear of big companies getting hacked and people's info getting stolen at least once a year, and I am pretty sure they have better security than this site has. Just was wondering if others suddenly were having to deal with the identify the pics.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,904 Posts
security through obscurity... your home computer is very difficult to locate from the outside internet world. Additionally, most folks do not leave them on when they are not in use - hard to hack if off... Even if it is "sleeping", unless you have a network card with wake-on-lan enabled - the attacker first had to find you too..

the main security threat for computers (home and work) is you (the user). click on something you should not, open that word doc or excel file from an email...

and then there is the question of value. would it really be worth someone's time and effort to hack your home machine. how much can they steal or extort from you? as individuals, most of us are poor targets.

that said, you should reboot at least weekly (if you don't power off which will do a hard reboot too) to flush cache and refresh memory as stuff hanging around can cause havoc to your machine's performance.

be careful when using outside networks - like at starbucks and such. wifi and bluetooth can be sniffed and your info stolen there. ok to surf the web but don't expect any privacy there. should turn off bluetooth when not actively using (computer and phone). the Mac has something called "airdrop" - that uses bluetooth - turn off airdrop immediately after using it - open - use - close...

end of security lecture for the night... ;^)

·
Registered
637 Posts
security through obscurity... your home computer is very difficult to locate from the outside internet world. Additionally, most folks do not leave them on when they are not in use - hard to hack if off... Even if it is "sleeping", unless you have a network card with wake-on-lan enabled - the attacker first had to find you too..

the main security threat for computers (home and work) is you (the user). click on something you should not, open that word doc or excel file from an email...

and then there is the question of value. would it really be worth someone's time and effort to hack your home machine. how much can they steal or extort from you? as individuals, most of us are poor targets.

that said, you should reboot at least weekly (if you don't power off which will do a hard reboot too) to flush cache and refresh memory as stuff hanging around can cause havoc to your machine's performance.

be careful when using outside networks - like at starbucks and such. wifi and bluetooth can be sniffed and your info stolen there. ok to surf the web but don't expect any privacy there. should turn off bluetooth when not actively using (computer and phone). the Mac has something called "airdrop" - that uses bluetooth - turn off airdrop immediately after using it - open - use - close...

end of security lecture for the night... ;^)
not sure if I agree was hacked not sure how hacker got info and used it to charge bills but Thank God the bank seen that it wasn't me and dismissed charges changed acct and used more caution with computer

·
Great Cycle Challenge Team OGF
3,761 Posts
Not paranoid but believe in protecting myself. I don't leave my house unlocked when I am not home so why would I leave an open portal to my computer when I am not using it. People's computers have been accessed by using this backdoor method for years. You hear of big companies getting hacked and people's info getting stolen at least once a year, and I am pretty sure they have better security than this site has. Just was wondering if others suddenly were having to deal with the identify the pics.
What info does OGF have, that any other user cant already see, and that hackers can use to steal your identity?

Your PC at home is fairly secure. Your ISP gives you a rotating address, and you are sitting behind a firewall in your router/modem. As privateer said, you are a low value target for a penetration attack. What is the return on hacking one randomn persons' info when a theif can go for millions at a time? You are much more likely to fall for a scam email or popup ad, hence why you see so many of those.

I'll add to what privateer said, update your software as well. That way you are more secure by blocking any exploits, but also in the fact that in doing so you are learning what legitimate update processes look like, and that makes you less likely to fall for an update scam.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I'm gonna guess OGF isn't the only website he accesses from his computer. Some of you seem to only reply if you can somehow disagree with someone or to suggest someone is doing something wrong. He asked a pretty simple question and somehow he's using his computer wrong?

To the original question, I have my settings set to log out every time I close my browser also. But I've never had to do the "I am human" thing on OGF.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm gonna guess OGF isn't the only website he accesses from his computer. Some of you seem to only reply if you can somehow disagree with someone or to suggest someone is doing something wrong. He asked a pretty simple question and somehow he's using his computer wrong?

To the original question, I have my settings set to log out every time I close my browser also. But I've never had to do the "I am human" thing on OGF.
amen brother amen

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shad Rap, I do not use one of those wallets as there is a much cheaper method that works just as good. Simply line wallet with tin foil, learned this from a friend involved in security.
M. Magis have only used this computer to access 4 fishing sites and Home Depot for a few years, If I play a game it is on a tablet and all online banking, etc... is done on my wife's computer.
I have a degree in computers (although it is out of date) and my wife still works in computers so I am well aware of computer security methods but also aware of how they can be bypassed. My software is top of the line and browser history, cookies and cache are cleared every time I log out. Not likely to get scammed/h from email/hacked as last email I opened from an unknown source was in probably in 92 and I don't open most email from known sources unless it is a response to something I sent.

When I logged in today I did not get the test. I only asked about it because in all my years on this site had never seen it before.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Shad Rap, I do not use one of those wallets as there is a much cheaper method that works just as good. Simply line wallet with tin foil, learned this from a friend involved in security.
M. Magis have only used this computer to access 4 fishing sites and Home Depot for a few years, If I play a game it is on a tablet and all online banking, etc... is done on my wife's computer.
I have a degree in computers (although it is out of date) and my wife still works in computers so I am well aware of computer security methods but also aware of how they can be bypassed. My software is top of the line and browser history, cookies and cache are cleared every time I log out. Not likely to get scammed/h from email/hacked as last email I opened from an unknown source was in probably in 92 and I don't open most email from known sources unless it is a response to something I sent.

When I logged in today I did not get the test. I only asked about it because in all my years on this site had never seen it before.
I was just messin with ya...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts