Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forums been dead awhile, we finally have nice weather who else is gonna nail them this weekend. braggin rights to who has the best pic by monday eh??:B

·
Just One More Cast
382 Posts
I'll be down the following weekend and plan on fishing as much as possible. Hope the river is in good shape. Good luck to everybody this weekend and post any results.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
The water's still up & dirty around here but that doesn't matter to me. I'll be trying somewhere. I know the picture doesn't count but sometimes I need a little reminder of what they look like. Yeah,right!!! Maybe it'll get good like it was a week ago. Good Luck;)

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey Dave where are you going this weekend? Where are they hit'n in scioto county? Have you ever fished the strip mines off of Rt. 650 in Lawrence County???

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
forums been dead awhile, we finally have nice weather who else is gonna nail them this weekend. braggin rights to who has the best pic by monday eh??:B
Yeah, this thread's been dead a while :( Hopefully it'll liven up a bit here soon. I plan to get out today for sure, probably here in a few minutes, but the only thing I been catchin' is white bass. Hopefully my pics won't be competing for braggin' rights :) I'll post back on how I do.

Hey Dave where are you going this weekend? Where are they hit'n in scioto county? Have you ever fished the strip mines off of Rt. 650 in Lawrence County???
OU, I grew up down there (years ago :)) and fished it quite a bit, but that was before they busted it wide open with nice main roads, maintained trails, etc. The fishing was great if you could get to it. I don't know what impact the easier access has had on the place. What kind of information are you looking for?

CW

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nice to hear you used to fish the strip mines Creekwalker.

I have fond memories of the strip mines before Wayne Nat'l improved the roads back there. The first time I went was in '91, we caught a bunch of bass all weighing at least 2 lbs, the biggest being near 5 lbs. I've had the best luck at a lake near the back of the strip mines, on the left. It's a small lake which bottlenecks into a big lake. Do you know where I'm talking about?

You can now drive a car to most of the lakes, which I'm sure means more pressure on the fish. But, the fish were never easy to catch, and despite the increased pressure, It's hard to believe the fish are being caught easily.

However, there are still many ponds which you can only reach by walking or ATV. Which did you have the most luck with?

All I've ever caught (or tried for) was bass and bluegill, have you ever caught anything else there?

·
Moving water...
658 Posts
Yeah, I fished that same lake and had great luck and saw some huge bass. I forget which pond # that was but I think it was right across from 18 before you went down the main road to the powerline. There were some pine trees on the trail leading back to it. I fished it from a belly boat mostly or from the bank.

I probably fished about half the lakes out there and mostly fished for bass and catfish and had decent luck with both. I mostly fished that lake you are talking about, 18 and Sawmill.

I bet the last time I fished it was in the early 90s.

CW

Nice to hear you used to fish the strip mines Creekwalker.

I have fond memories of the strip mines before Wayne Nat'l improved the roads back there. The first time I went was in '91, we caught a bunch of bass all weighing at least 2 lbs, the biggest being near 5 lbs. I've had the best luck at a lake near the back of the strip mines, on the left. It's a small lake which bottlenecks into a big lake. Do you know where I'm talking about?

You can now drive a car to most of the lakes, which I'm sure means more pressure on the fish. But, the fish were never easy to catch, and despite the increased pressure, It's hard to believe the fish are being caught easily.

However, there are still many ponds which you can only reach by walking or ATV. Which did you have the most luck with?

All I've ever caught (or tried for) was bass and bluegill, have you ever caught anything else there?

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Yeah OU I've only fished it once and that was about 3 yrs ago when a friend from Burlington took me there. All we had were waxworms and small lures but the gills and bass put the hurt on us. We walked around there fishing every one we could find. Nobody there when we arrived but when we left , there wasn't a place left on the side of any road to park. I couldn't believe all the people using the trails for riding atv"s. Wow. I don't fish ponds or lakes a whole lot but that was fun. I guess I'm just a river man who uses the time when the waters up to rest up . Is that tackle shop still there on 650 what was it ... Vic's??

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i went to a club yestersay and my freind got one hybrd that was 16 inch long on a roster tail we were going for trout but caught a lot of bass and gills only one striper it was nice fight though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts