close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are these Ducks and if so what kind?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BANDIT, Sep 22, 2004.

1. This should get em going. As I get out more with my boat I see things I've never seen before as these here, any information greatly appreciated.... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

3. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

We got hundreds of these things on CJ Brown, they are masters at eating Shad and fish, I always like to fish near these guys as when they are feeding in the water there are bunches of Shad around, and when they are roosting in the trees and nature calls they dump nothing but liquid Shad into the water and the catfish just roll on that liquid mess, a most excellent chumming style, these Cormorants fly low across the water and will drop on a school of Shad then they swim under the surface of the water like they are flying, move very fast and very neat to see in action, I got a feeling they can eat there weight in fish each year we see more and more of them.............Doc

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

That is deffently a comarant. we had them in Canada years ago and now they are all over the states. They eat their weigh in fish not just bait fish everyday. Some parts of Canada has started to allow killing of them. They are not worth eating as they are skinny as can be. Bad thing to have around.

5. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Take a look at the trees they are sitting in , just wait , all the trees will look like that very soon .

6. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Hey Phil,
    Now that you meantioned it the trees are bare where they roost...........Doc

7. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Dale said it best (he has a knack for that): "Bad to have around." Their droppings are very caustic. AND very prolific. "Bad things to have around"

8. down at Dale Hollow this past spring where all the trees were dead because of the cormorants. Also noted that they've killed off quite a few trees at Clear Fork... Very bad things to have around.

9. That looks just like the turkeys I shoot.....Hummmmm, maybe that's why nobody comes to my thanksgiving dinners

10. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Did you see how bad they have killed all the trees on the islands at CF buzzman ?

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Looks like it needs to be open season on these birds very quick, before things get out of hand.

12. Yeah, definitely not good. Two of the islands and one of the points near the islands had a lot of dead trees already. Sad thing is, I think it is just going to get a lot worse.

Maybe the Gahanna Lion can help out?

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I heard something about them long ago. They can swim faster than any fish.

14. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

have been seeing a lot of them at tappen this year.

15. The lake we go to in Canada has had them for as long as I have been going up there. I have really seen an increase in numbers on all lakes here in Ohio now as well. They are listed as a nuisance species in many areas. I sure howp they find a way to curb their population swell.:(

16. They are very bad in the Northeast U.S., Lake Champlain in Vermont/New York has whole islands that have no trees growing on them, often see them in groups of hundreds. I beleive the main culpret is the double crested cormarant. The feds and some state agencies are and have been oiling eggs in nests to try to control the population. The oil stops the transfer of oxygen across the shell, killing the developing chick inside. There is a lower level of renesting attempts as the adults keep waiting for the eggs to hatch. Of course this leads to a bit of protesting from the leather wearing animal wackos. On Eastern Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence, there have been many instances of people hitting roost islands at night and laying waste with shotguns. Unfortunatly, other species get caught up in the melee.

I hope the oiling works, as they are more than a nusiance in the these numbers, I really hope we don't see them in numbers on inland lakes.

17. They have taken out a large island on the north-east end of Hoover also.

18. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I have seen them at Tappan too. I did not know what they were though. I just knew they swam and had to do it fast. I saw one go under and it came back up about 30 yards away. Did not take it much time either

19. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

ROFL good one