Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
grip master
888 Posts
I used to get 1 now and then while Bass fishing, back in the years
soon after stocking. Most where in the 15-16 in. range. I remember
one day I was crank'in a hump and got 5 on a Fat-Free-Shad, all small, about 15 in.
Years after that I hooked a 27 in. crank'in a point on a DT16. That was the last one for me.
I used to see guys trolling for them years back. Never heard of any action.
I don't know how long a Walleye lives, but I doubt if their still in there.
I don't fish Walborn near as much as I used to.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I fished it pretty good back then, but never got one, trolled for them and just got bass , saw a picture of a wiper and a walleye a year or so ago on Ogf a young fella got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Maybe a couple left as being a rare giant and a couple from a teenie tiny amount of reproductive. I wouldn't target eyes in a lake that kind of population

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
there was a good population of eye's in Walborn before they drained her (90's I think) and was talk of stocking it but I have fished it for years and have not caught any or anyone I know who fishes it regular has caught any

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
They stocked West Branch with them, stopped in the late 1990's. After that, a few "breeders" remained and kept up a small resident population-enough for a few of us to ice fish for them. If Walborn was stocked with them til 2007, I'd bet there are some still swimming there today. But so few noone would really target them. It is surprising stocking hasn't continued there since walleye are a natural part of the Mahoning/Ohio River watershed/drainage system(and does not flow into Lake Erie). I know the lake is/was stocked with channel cats and wipers to add some Top Predator fish for sport fish diversity, and to facilitate the panfishing! Guess if you really want to target walleye, just go downstream a bit to Berlin and Milton.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i just seen a picture from a year or two ago of a young kid catching an absolute monster walleye out of there. Im sure there's a few trophys in there but few and far between.

·
Tall Tales Bait and Tackle
455 Posts
I hear stories of wb being stocked years back with walleye, but never heard of anybody catching them.
We saw 2 come out of there the same day (both over 29”) in 2019 but haven’t seen one since.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I maybe confused the discussion said WALBORN and it's WEST BRANCH ??? My two cents worth Walborn Not now past tense yes West branch not sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts