Are hydrofoils worth buying?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jkeeney20, Jan 15, 2008.

1. I got an older (95 model) fiberglass bass boat that has a 90hp motor on it. The boat is little over 17' long. When I take off it takes a good bit off time to get up to plane, I have had other boats like this that got up a lot faster and (its not my driving.:D ) I was just wondering if anyone has went with a hydrofoil and if it helped enough to spend the extra $75 or so. Any suggestions would be appriciated, still trying to decide if I want to buy one.

2. they definately make a difference, an SS prop can help to

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Friends don't let friends buy hydrofoils.

Look up Smart Tabs by Nauticus.

4. Made a big difference in the hole shot on my Tri hull. Tabs would be another option that is more useful in other areas too

5. Hyrofoild help some hulls/motor combos alot. Check your RPM at full throttle. You might be spinning too much prop for good holeshot.

Tim

6. I've driven boats with and without and they do make a difference. 90 horses pushing 17ft fiberglass and gear and crew? I'd say yes on the hydrafoil. I'd also seriously look at a stainless steel prop to go with it.

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

can you lower the angle of the motor to the boat. closer to the boat will help you plane quicker. my boat porpoises and i use one for that reason.

8. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

When I was running my 19' glass fish/ski I had the same problem with planning. I did notice a huge difference when I purchased a happy Troller. In the open position it made an unbelievable difference.

I believe a hydrofoil is the same principal as the Happy Troller in the open position and should help your cause.

Dave

9. I have a 16 ft sea nymph w/ a 50 hp johnson and I put a hydeofoil and love it! I jump on plane like now! and it is alot more stable running on plane. I don't know if it is worth it for bigger engines but it sure helped me! I will say tho, that my engine is mounted on a Jack plate and I run a stainless steel prop and I am sure they help also.

10. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i agree with KaGee.. trash the foil and get some tabs:p best $150.00 i spent last year.

11. YES!!! I have the SE model on my 15' glass boat with a 90 and it really helps! It pops right up on plane and will stay on plane at a slower speed too! I'd say to definately get one........you'll not regret it!

12. tomb

tomb Tom B.

$75 sounds aweful high for a hydrofoil. I'm sure I only paid $35 for mine. It's for a 19' w/125o.b.

It's a Tiger Shark, I'd give you the link, but I can't find it online. It looks very similar to the Stinray sold at Basspro.

13. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

14. Thanks everyone! Looks like I will be getting one, or maybe the Smart Tabs by Nauticus. By the way, I already have a SS prop on the boat!

15. Started checking into the smart tabs. Wow, it looks like a good thing. I think I am going to try them this year.