close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aquarium??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TxTransplant, Apr 5, 2005.

1. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

I have one set up with lake fish. I've been feeding them waxies to the Gills and minnows to the bass. Anyone know of something different the gills will eat that don't make such a mess of the tank? Has anyone on here been able to get gills to build a bed and breed? Thanx ahead of time for any input!

Gene

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I have had good luck feeding agressive fish brine shrimp, i think you can get them in different sizes too. try the pet store, they come in a froze chunk.

3. When I was a kid, we used to feed them the shrimp pellets.

Hey Gene, in my aquarium, we used to have a couple smll pike we seined up from the Cuyahoga, no more than 5 inchers, but man, they were absolutely COOL to watch take minnows, stealthy rascals!

I told my kids about your aquarium and they want to come see the fish and they're bugging me to set one up too. LOL

May want to try crickets for the gills too.

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

What about guppies? They would probably eat them.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

if things need cleaned, get a small bullhead, they do the job great.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Guys, please be carefull feeding anything minnows from bait stores. Several years I was hard up for $, & didnt get my Snakeheads goldfish but got several dozen minnows from a bait shop. The Minnows ended up having some sort of fresh water disease & finally ended up killiing my snake heads as well as my eels.

If you have a pet sore around your house, I;d recomend feeding the bass feeder goldfish. They are only usually $1.00 a dozen. They dont carry as many diseaes. Dont be like me & screw everything you've worked so hard to get up by something as simple as minnows. :( Mna, i was so amde at myself.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

For the gills you can feed them a high-protein flake diet. If you are in central ohio go to Jack's and get their bulk crisps with high-protein. My gills and sunfish loved it. Easy to keep. Add a few crayfish to your tank to clean up any messes on the bottom.

8. H2O Mellon

I forgot that part, yes Crawfish are great for that. I had a couple very large ones, theyd even get a couple of the feeder goldfish, to give you an idea of how big they were the Snakeheads left them alone !

9. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

I have been keeping aquariums for about 15 years now and I never feed any of my fish feeders from a store or baitshop due to the disease issues unless I quarantine them for a few weeks. Feeder goldfish are kept and raised in such horrible conditions that they are not at all healthy. Same goes for minnows. If I feed live fish, I try to raise them myself. Get yourself a 110 water tub from TSC or somewhere and throw in a 1/2 dozen goldfish. In about 3-4 months if you put in some cover for the fry you will have a nice supply if you feed sparingly. As a rule of thumb, if it is alive it can have parasites or disease. Use caution.

Now my in experience with bluegills, which is somewhat limited, I have found that they will eat anything you put in the tank. Flake food, pellets, worms, whatever. To get them to spawn for you, lower the tank temp as low as you can for a few weeks, no heat at all. While you do this also restrict the amount of light to about 6 hrs a day. The longer it is dark the better. Then slowly raise the temp of the water to about 74 over a period of 3-4 days. As you are doing this increase the lighting to around 12 hrs a day. During this conditioning period feed plenty of high protien food, worms, etc but do not over feed. Then do a 50% water change with water the same temp or a degree or 2 cooler than the tank water and if you have a male and female he should start coloring up for the ladies and securing a nesting ground.

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

gene, don't worry about feeding your fish baitfish, since they are wild fish, thier ammune system is much more advanced than those domesticated or non-native spiecies at pet stores, as for the crayfish, no need to buy one untill you get rid of that bass! i had a snake head and it never bother anything, it was a wimp compared to the bullhead in the tank, which eventually ate the snakehead and the crayfish.

11. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Thanx guy's, didn't think about the crayfish. They would be a cool addition. I know I want a small cat of some kind in there. I just gotta catch one.

Gene

12. Try meal worms. easy to raise and you have an endless supply. As far as I'm concerned about putting a bullhead in; be prepared to start losing fish. They can destroy the whole system. I had one that not only killed for sport but it blinded a few fish as well. Try some "mad toms". catch them in the creeks as well or check with the bait shops. I get a few, a year, in with my minnows that I purchase. Even though you might get the fish free, they gotta eat and it can be very expensive. Bass don't eat bread, lol

13. H2O Mellon

wow! a bullhead was more agressive the the snakehead? I had a few oscars that were much mroe agressive than my snakeheads. Boy I wish I had access to my old gfo post about my snakeheads. I miss them! Beleive it or not eh most agressive thing I;ve ever had was a real pretty looking sunfish. That sucker would fight w/ anything!

Thanks for the info about domestic vs native too. It makes total sense, guess I never really thought if the natural ammune sytems that builds up.

14. I have alot of experience with keeping natives, and I highly agree with keeping any fish you introduce as food seperate for about a week, feeder guppies, minnows from the bait show, etc. I used to get fatheads from my lab and still would need to becuase they can introduce tons of parasites and flukes. A good cichlid pellet will work for the sunfish, larger size for bass too, since after all sunfish are related to cichlids. Any frozen food works well, krill especially, but also brine shrimp bloodworms and beefheart. I also feed dried gammarus and krill. Flake food is very ineffecient for feeding North American natives on its own, especially anything that isnt a minnow/shiner/chub. It is a good supplement but shouldnt be used on its own as anything really shouldnt be. Bred longears and orangespotteds quite easily in 3 foot long and a 55 gal tank. Get the light and temperature in synch with whats really going on and bring em outta winter into the spring and if youve got yourself male and females it'll happen. Good info from fastlane. Check out the email list at nanfa.org (North American Native Fish Association). Lotta knowledge there from people that can pretty much breed anything they get their hands on. Ive also gotten alotta surprises from bait stores, things like stickleback, sunnies, honryhead chubs, grass pike, SRB Dace, its almost like a grab bag for a couple bucks.

15. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

This is sooooo far from accurate. Fishes raised in captivity and imported fishes can be introduced to diseases and parasites that our natives have never came close to. Not trying to slam Johnboy here but the info is simply untrue. Our native fishes will be more immune to native disease than those bought at a fish store howeve. It is just like taking a trip to Mexico and drinking "bad water". It will make one of us seriously ill but a local from the area would be unaffected by it because of the long term exposure and immunity developed over time. Also, when you take a native fish from the wild and put it into an aquarium, it will be stressed for quite some time and will never be fully used to living there. Stress itself can kill a fish but it also lowers it's natural immune system.

Now, as for adding bullheads to the mix, it can be done but be prepared for disaster. Those things are eating machines, they uproot everything in the tank, and will eat anything that will fit in their mouth and often kill what doesn't. They are cool to have and observe though. I myself would stick with the mad toms as sugested earlier. Same attitude but too small to really hurt anything.