close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aquarium Lights

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, Dec 10, 2004.

1. What is the longest you have left your aquarium lights on or off. I'm going on vacation for a week around Christmas time, and might not be able to have someone stop over on a regular basis to feed them. I've read before that they can go a week without food, but I'm not sure if that is true. Would leaving the lights on or off for the whole week do anything to them? They're nothing exotic, just regular tropical fish.

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

Well... I am not sure about the lights, but you can buy vacation food for your fish. Not sure how it works, I think it is really compressed and floats, and the fish pick at it.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

2 things you need.

1. Automatic feeder that is battery powered. I think it was like 10-15 bucks.

2. Light timer is like 5 bucks.

Those work great for me because I have a very crazy schedule.

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

Oh yeah, I did see those timed feeders come to think of it.
    I have a turtle that is a pain to leave home.

hmmm.. When I get him a bigger tank,
    I am going to invest in that stuff myself!

5. I used to raise tropical fish (Angles) for ten years. The fish will get hungry but can go a week without food and not be harmed. Just feed them lightly for a couple days when you get back. Window light is all that is needed.
    Crankus "s suggestions are really good and can be used again in the future.
    I would also add a little extra salt in the tank to prevent infection.

6. No problem leaving the lights off for a week unless you have light-hungry plants. They may suffer. If you don't have the plants and leave the lights on, you may get a slight algae bloom. Fish will be fine without food for a week. Also, careful about adding salt to your tank if you house softwater fish or plants.

7. the fish will be allright for a week without food or light.

8. I've had a ball python for almost 13 yrs. now. I bought an automatic timer about 9 yrs ago and only have to worry about her lights around DST. Just change the time accordingly and never worry whether she gets enough or too much light. By the way, they are pretty nice for your interior lights when you do go out of town as they will turn the lights on and off when you aren't there. Not a replacement for a good security system but a nice accent.

9. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

Your fish will be fine. They can survice just fine with out food for a week. They can live indefinitely without lighting. Normal room lighting will be fine. I have been in and out of the hobby for 16 years and have kept as many as 30 tanks at once. I recently downsized to only 4 tanks to ease the maintenence but I currently have a fry/growout tank that has no lighting at all. THe fish do just fine. QUite hoinestly, unless you are breeding tricky species, lighting is more for our benefit than the fish. What good are they if we can't see them. Some tropical fish come from deep water that get little to no light, others from balck water that light cannot penetrate past 1 foot or so depth, others come from rain forest areas that are so shaded that they get very little light at all. Your fish will not be adversely affected by the no lighting situation. Stay away from the so called vacation feeders as they are prone to foul the tank or the fish will overeat on them the first day and get digestive infections, bloat, popeye, etc. If one fish dies from this it can create an amonia spike while you are gone and you will come home to a smelly mess. Also, don't be tempted to over feed them before you leave in hopes of filling their bellies to hold them over. THis will just cause excess waste in the tank which could possibly foul the water as well. Just keep your normal feeding schedule and you'll be fine. Also make sure your heater is working properly to keep the tank from getting too cold especially if you turn the temp in the house down while you are gone.

10. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

That is some great advice, Fastlane.

11. Fastlane, thanks for the advice. 30 tanks sounds like a big pain to maintain!!!