close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aqua-Vu owners/users....share your smarts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elamenohpee, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Seriously looking into an underwater camera, but there are so many to choose from and not a whole lot of info on the web about them. Which do you like and why?

I know of a sporting goods store that has last years models on sale for 25% off and after I figure out what I'm doing I'll post where it is and we can race there to get 'em....they have more than a couple ;)

2. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I have been looking into these myself and will make a purchase soon. I am looking into getting one of the new models from Aqua-vu at aquavu.com . All of the new models from aquaview have cameras that are shaped like a fish. There is a blugill, a perch, a baby bass, etc. I'll probably go with either the AVIPS, the Scout or the SV-100. The scout has a 5" viewable screen and is $200. The AVIPS has a 7" viewable screen and is $250. The SV-100 only has a 4" viewable screen BUT it shows on screen water Tempearture , Depth and Direction but it is priced at $449.

I have read a few topics about camera direction. Does anyone have a Underwater cam with on screen direction? IF it is a BIG bonus I'll probably go with the SV-100. If not then I'll just go with the Scout.

3. Actually I've considered one myself, but I've been kind of waiting and hoping someone (KSUFLASH hint, hint, nudge, nudge) would be able to post a pic from theirs on say West Branch, Milton, Berlin, etc so I can see what kind of image quality they're getting. I've heard they don't work very well in turbid water (alot of reflection off plankton and other suspended particulates in the water) which describes the majority of the lakes I fish in the NE and PA.

Barry

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I've been using my Aquaview for a few years ice fishing and on Erie.

My opinion,

Screen size - 4" works ok, you get used it, but bigger would be better if it doesn't have an effect on clarity. The 4" screen is very clear.

Outside use - big time bad, must be out of sunlight to view screen. Works very well in shanty, bad, bad, bad outside. Must use the sun shade when outside or in a boat.

Lights - I haven't found a use for them yet, very bad with creatures and particulate in the water.

Temp - who cares, pretty useless option.

Direction - one option that I don't have that I wish I did have. Take away my lights and temp and give me direction and I'll be happy.

Ice pod - manual, a must have for ice fishing

Ice pod - electric, for the guy that has too much money.

I purchased mine from the bargain cave at Cabela's. They normally have a bunch at this time of year. Fisherman buy them and realize that they don't work well in off colored water and return them.

Two biggest requirements for an ice fisherman to be happy with a camera.
    1. Already own a Vexilar
    2. CLEAR water.

You can learn more with a camera in a day than you can with a vex in a season, IF the water is clear.

My opinion,
    Kim

5. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Well Said Kim. The model I owned did not have the directional either and I didnt ever purchase the tri pod but it sounds like I should have. :)

Side note: Kim at the lake that Lakeraider and I fish we did use the lights after dark and they didnt seem to bother them a whole lot which was pretty cool. Just thought you'd like to know I got to use them but only on one lake lol.

6. cw261

cw261 Member

I just got my Aqua Vu MC2x less than a month ago - I thought I got a good deal on it from Bass Pro shops for $250, until I saw one in Cabela's bargain cave right before Christmas for $170 - unopened box - worth a check if you are near Wheeling.

My experience so far has been just as Lundy said - the one you may want to check with the Scout, I think it has a downviewing camera only. Downviewing is good for very weedy conditions, but side viewing allows you to see more if the water is clear enough. I'm looking forward to using it on the open water in the spring.

7. About the Aqua-Vu Scout, it will look vertical or horizontal.

I bought one last week. Haven’t had chance to use it, yet.

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Tha's a good point about vertical or horizontal, but you can convert either to the other real easily with a piece of wire, or a clothes hanger.

Mike,

I'm glad that you found a lake where the lights actually worked for you. When I fished at Edgewater before daylight through the ice, the lights did attract some smelt and bunches of shad. The shad kept swimming headfirst into the lights. There wasn't a lot of particulate reflecting the light that morning. Did you and Raider ever get into the crappie?

9. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Oh yeah, it showed them big time. Found schools of them in deep water on the bottom of the lake. These schools held huge numbers of fish. Black crappie. The lights at nite are awsome. Even in the heavy weeds. We found two huge spools of electric cable in one of our holes. I,m talking the big spools that the utility companys use. Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  10. I plan on hooking my digital camcorder up to my Aqua-Vu this spring for you guys to show you some video on underwater stufff on Lake Erie. Yes, I'm a gadget boy and I like to play. The underwater camera is great for confirming ledges/breaklines and rocky structure and fish type on Lake Erie. You see them on your graph and then can understand it when you see it on the camera. Great tool!

11. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Lundy,

Im not 100 % sure but I am pretty sure Im comming up to Hubbard on Sat and Sunday Feb 5,6th. I have everything that I use to but a shanty and i know how to make due if I must with a deer blind lol. Still have my lazer and vex and Raider is going to let me use the aqua vu. Heck maybe I can talk him into going. I am for sure going to the Presque outting. I've already booked a room :) Lookin forward to meeting up with ya. If you dont mind on that Thurs and Friday when you are up there could you give me a call and let me know how the fish are bitin?

12. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

I have the directional and water temp on mine. I have used one without the directional and now know it is a must have. There was nothing more aggravating than not knowing which direction the camera was facing. It also has the depth on it. This is a great option too when trying to match it to the depth your seeing things on the locator (your bait, fish or structure). I have to disagree with Lundy on the power tri-pod. I think it would be a great asset to dialing the camera in where you want it to be looking. I have a tough time getting it to settle on the direction I want it pointed and the remote to spin it would be great. I really have a blast with mine and it has taught me alot about my locators. I agree about the lights....there are so many tiny creatures at night that love those lights they make them useless. Hope this helps ya.

Gene