Aqua View VS Generic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JV1, Feb 4, 2008.

1. JV1

JV1

I was hoping for some input here on an underwater camera.

Im thinking of purchasing one for my boat, It would most likely be a permanent fixture and I wont use it in the ice or elsewhere.

I want to know a couple things about these cameras. I fish primarly in Lake Erie's Central Basin, the water there is darn near crystal clear.

Are these cameras suitable for what I want to use it for or are they "an ice fishing toy" ?

Will the camera show me what Im looking to see in the deep central basin?

Also, I read somewhere that the yellow generic model from sportsmans guide gives a better picture than the more expensive aqua view.

Any thought or comments are greatly appreciated :G

2. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Aqua vu are really good. I have 2 and know that.Erie is about only lakes I can use mine in. rest to muddy to see far.just where in Erie you plan to use it. Central is a big thing. if ashtabula or conneaut I can go and we can use mine. I record to from the camera.was you wanting a used one as I have 2 may want sell one.first like you see it working.mine are as all I ever seen a portable.by the way these cost lot.let me know on this.only fix ones are not small boat stuff. and cost to much to.

3. JV1

JV1

I fish at conneaut, can you see the perch in the boat pack? Can you tell me what model you have for sale and how much your asking? P.S. im not to far from youngstown

4. Eriesteamer

I was fishing your area since I was 3 years old. thats my fishing hole.know the area well. yes you can see every thing you can imagine. ( but mermaids ) down there.the fish. ankors. ship wrecks.and fishing poles the got drop over board. man you got see it.we need try both see if you still want buy one.you got a boat. I do but it needs to much work to use till I fix it up.keep me in mind. your write we are 70 miles away.I know a few up that way.I stay there some times a week.I know where get fish. back to the camera if I do not see fish down there bet you not going catch any.I like go near wall and snoop.any where.well thats it for now

5. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I've used my "Aqua-vu" Perch fishing on Erie on several differnet occasions. No problems at all seeing what going on 50' down. It definately makes it more enjoyable and easier if it's calm out. One thing about the Aqua-Vu, most of the models only have 50' of cable. The cheaper models like the one I have ($99 Harbor Freight) has 60'. 50' will get you by in most occasions, but if the Perch are out a little deeper the extra 10' will come in handy! The only bad thing about the Harbor Freight camera is each part is independent (camera cord, monitor and battery). I made a case to put everything together. I used to have a real Aqua-Vu and can't tell a difference in picture quality.

They are a blast when the Perch bite is ON!

Here's a link to one I have...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91309

6. Eriesteamer

I too have a 50 footer and a 100 footer. yep the boat rocking it a problem ok. the seen goes up and down ok. less calm . very calm.I take recordings of mine.so when home I can still view what it was all about.like snoop the bottom lake for things.I made a speceil pole thing to use on mine. it will turn under water camera up and down. side ways.so I can see the boat or the bottem lake.you got a recorder.I like get on working or not as mines a regular Video recorder not a portable.I use inverter to up the 12 volts to run it.

7. JV1

JV1

Parma, WOW, the price is right on the harbor freight model.

Are you saying the yellow harbor freight model works well in lake erie? Is the picture quality comparable to the portable "aqua view" ? Also what kind of accessories would I need? Could it be wired to ny fuse box or do I have to play the rechargeable game?
    PLEASE REPLY

P.S. erie steamer, I fish in conneaut, I live in austintown

8. when i took mine out on Erie we were able to see our bait and the perch in 50' of water. the perch had to be sorta close or else the just blended into the background. mainly you see their eyes first. they had a bunch of the $99 ones for sale to just about any gander mtn.

9. ParmaBass

JV....
    The Harbor Freight model is the exact model I have, I have no problems with clarity on Lake Erie at all. It comes ready to use, it comes with a 12V gel battery just like the one used for Vexilars, charger is also included. It will hold a charge for days, unless you use it 8 hours a day. Like I mentioned before, you'll get the camera attached to 60' of cable. A monitor and battery. You'll need to rig something up to make it a little more compact.

Like Peple said Gander has a cheap version and so does BassPro...they only have 50' of cable though.
    Here's a link to the BP one..

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._95922_200001011_200000000_200001000_200-1-11

10. Parma,
    How far can you see with it on Erie? Is there enough light for a good picture at say 50-60 feet?

11. Eriesteamer

I have a lot friends there.you ever knew a guy by this name.And I am well known there too.
    John Watt
    plus there was lot more.back to the camera thing at the freight place. I like look into that too.. yes you likely can rig them to work with boat batterie. can use a cigarrte lighter wire with plug to use in boat. if you got big one if not and it be a row boat you can get clips to use it.longs it be 12 volt to match you batterie.you fish Miill Creek Park.I near live there.you can find me there.the last lake there.Glasieir think it is called.just wait till they stock the trout man I be there sun up to sun down.well thats it for now

12. JV1

JV1

Parma , thanks for the reply! now my wife is not upset at me for spending $400 or $500 , I think Im going to go with this camera, I hope Im able to somehow mount the display on the dash, Im sure I will figure something out. thanks again for your reply.

P.S. peple of the perch, I knew I recognized that cat in your avatar, how have you been?:G

13. Eriesteamer

you can see far.down there. mine has infint red ray lights and it see prety far.even at night. the fish as well I can not see light. but it will light up nice.not sure how far I see but it is far.lot will make differance as sun and so forth.think the frieght one does not have these lights.as my Aqu Vu has.I can use it every where in can ,house.you name it. and no one can see lights and know it is on then. Smile Your On My Candid Camera.

14. ParmaBass

On Sunny days you can see pretty far, mabey up to 6' away. It has the infared lights too for when it's darker out. It's alot easier on calm days, if it's choppy out the camera will keep hitting the bottom and churn things up.

15. JV1

JV1

Just out of curiosity, how many perch have you seen on this thing? are we talking huge schools of perch, do they always hug the bottom? did you ever see any walleyes roaming the lake? Did you ever drop it on the rock piles and find smallies? a zillion questions I know ....I downloaded the product manual from harbor freight, I think Im sold on it, thanks again ,

16. ParmaBass

I've only ever used it Perch fishing. And most of the time it was during a furious bite. Huge school was directly under the boat and they were going nuts. But, there have been a few slow days where I got real familiar with the round GOBY!

17. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Had the harbor freight camera out on erie. could see mussel beds and gobies real good. the cord is too short when the perch move out to 50 to 60ft water. you have to take into account the distance from your boat to the water. I lose almost 10 ft of cord before it hits the water.

18. My wife purchased one of those $99 ones from Gander. I have to say, I have taken it out to Portage Lakes in akron ice fishing and could see real good. Seen schools of gills, got surprised when I turned the camera right into the face of a nice largemouth bass, made my heart jump. I was always told cameras would not work in Ohio waters, but you can, and this $99 one was well worth the money, although it has only 50' of cord

Rich

19. Marcum seems to have the best overall rig. Monitor, camera performance and setup on the lights. This was done with a side by side comparasion of the aqua-vu. I cannot comment on the harbor freight model. The members that did comment on their performance are ones that you can rely on.

To further complicate the matter. They both Marcum and Aqua-Vu have models out now that use LCD monitors. They have two advantages no need for a sun shield and lower power draw. A visit to either website can be quite informative. But brother those are not cheap.

20. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

JV,

I have used the aqua View out on Erie many times.

Depending on the amount of daylight you can have great visibility 50 ft down. The other variable is the bottom color. My son and I fished a light sand area out from Vermilion and could see perch a long way off with the color contrast the bottom provided. If you have a bunch of wave action the camera becomes much less effective just due to camera movement. Change from a horizontal to a vertical view in the waves.

We have used it in shallow to confirm smallmouth also many times. We have seen both walleye and smallmouth together on shallow rock areas in the spring.

We usually only use it as a search tool to find what we are looking for and then put it away and fish.