close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

April Mad River Workdays

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Salmonid, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Thought I would pass these events along to the masses.
    Salmonid
    PS If anyone is interested in attending, drop me a PM so I can contact you if we get too much rain and need to postpone
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There will be a Workday this Saturday April 9th from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon at the Pimtown Rd. bridge on Mad River just south of West Liberty. We need your help getting our projects back on schedule, so let me know if you can make it. We will be working on the following activities if there are enough volunteers:

- move cobbles to the bank with equipment of Jeff Clark’s or rental (2 to 3 volunteers)

- cable in logs that are already placed near the bridge (4 to 5 volunteers)

- cut and move logs from the bank to the bend and cable them in and attach Christmas trees (3 to 4 volunteers)

- clear the remainder of the trail to the iron bridge

If the river is not in condition to work I will send an e-mail out by 8:00 p.m. on Friday evening.

Also, on April 23rd we will be conducting our stream monitoring at the St Rt . 36 bridge starting at 9:00 a.m. Following the monitoring we will be mowing, clearing paths, picking up trash and weedwacking.Please come join us for both events!

THANKS!

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

What happened to the river banks from the 68 bridge in West Liberty west? Everythings cut out and smooth banks, sure looks like crap now. Did the state do it or the landowner?

3. Orlando, we just discussed this on the Miami Valley Fly Fishers webpage message board ( www.mvff.us) Ill cut and paste what I put in there. Salmonid
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those of you who have noticed the mainstem dredging and clearing of the banks along the Mad downstream of Rt 68 near West Liberty, Listed below is my note to Jennifer Ganson, the Mad River Watershed coordinator and her reply. This is why conservation work is so frustrating, present Govt leaders have stripped away all enforcement from the same agencies it created to do the enforcement.
    Way to Go Bush..... :mad:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My note:
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 4:15 PM
    Subject: Mad River Dredging

Hey , I noticed last Thursday on my way up to Zanesfield that as you head north on 68, and cross the river just before West Liberty, that the owners there on the downstream side for about 1/2 a mile on both banks has stripped and used a track hoe all the way down to the stream bottom leaving both banks pure mud with not a single blade of grass on them, Can someone check Logan Cty S&W to make sure they got a permit to do that?? also Im sure the permit doesnt allow them the damage they did so someone should follow up with them, On Thursday they were still in there with several pieces of heavy machinery, not sure but thought I would pass on.

Mark
    >>
    Jennifers reply:
    Yes, I have checked into the clearing on the Mad in south of West Liberty. John Detwiler is the property owner, and has Hurley excavation doing the work. I checked with both Logan/Champaign County SWCD, they were unaware but have no authority over the project, so I talked to the army Corp of engineers, they said as long as he doesn't place the material back in the river, he can clear out the stream and the riparian buffer. They can only offer BMP advice to him. I also talked to the EPA, they said same thing,
    unless he alters the Flood plan then he is doing everything legitimately. So that is the story. Not much anyone can do except wait till it floods again and see what happens then.
    Jenn
    >>
    Sorry for the long rant, Salmonid

4. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

That last big rain we had a while back ,the Mad was as high as I had ever saw it. It was clear up in that corn field completly out of it's banks(on the north bank) almost into those apartments! If that floods again that bad ,talk about erosion! That whole bank will be washed away. I'm not a fly fisherman, (I used to fish the Mad as a kid) but it don't take a brain surgeon to know what damage they have caused.

5. Wish I could come up but I have work that morning. I have marked the 23rd so that I can try and plan around it.