Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday me and my buddie went to Grosjean park where the Trout Unlimited Clear Fork Chapter is located and... failure. We went with high hopes and found 2 koi carp, a smallie, a gar, and no trout. We left dissapointed. There were people swimming in a hole which could have held some trout (if there were any). It was an awesome place and looked realy good but the fishing was not as good. We were there for fivers with one possible sighting of a brown but couldn't tell. Does anyone know if they re-stock any time soon? Or if the clear creek is a good fisherie this time of year?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Like the upper stretches of the east branch of the rocky river, it is a seasonal fishery. Fall to spring offers your best chance. Summer is tougher due to lower water, warmer water, and fewer (if any) trout that made it past the many fisherman who choose to take their limit home after the spring stocking. Best option for summer trout in Ohio is the upper portion of the mad river, west of Columbus. The clear fork (mohican) has brown trout available all year but is made more of a seasonal fishery due to the daily canoe, tube, and beer hatch. Best summer trout options? Michigan or Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Once school starts, fish the weekdays. I got to the MAD today and found swimmers in my favorite spot. The thing that gets me is the trash they leave behind. Guess i'll take a trash bag tomorrow morning and do a little cleanup first.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ditto to what Steve said.

Unless you get down to Grosjean within a few days or so after a stock, you'll be hard pressed to have much luck - bait fisherman wait for the stockings to happen and will absolutely keep everything they catch, which, to be honest, is not really a problem in my opinion (as long as they follow the regs), because I don't believe that Apple really has the right water conditions to hold large populations of trout for an extended period of time, anyway.

Whatever trout are in there now - if any - are serious survivors if they were able to survive through the heat we went through this past summer, along with at least two floods that blew out the stream.

Also, last year, a fellow TU member reported to ODNR that he witnessed 4 Amish guys upstream from Grosjean near the Rt 30 on-ramp, and they were netting at least a half dozen trout the day after a stock. I don't know if ODNR ever got them or not, but that's the potential of what you can run into down there, is all I'm saying.

I've been a part of many stockings on Apple Creek; the best time to go fishing is about two days afterwards, after the fish get over the "stock shock" but before they're cleaned out. At that point, they are pretty shy when it comes to top-water stuff, so your best bet is to use nymphs - beadheads, copperjohns, princes, stoneflies, etc.

Stockings on that water generally happen in the spring and fall and are done through the Clearfork TU chapter. We did two stocks this past year, one in April, and then one at the end of October.
Between the 3 fishing trips I took - one in April, one in May and one in early November, I ended up with a total of 8 very nice trout, five were browns and three were rainbows - all between 16" - 20" inchers, and all caught on nymph patterns (#14, #16 and #18's) under a very small strike indicator.

Your best bet to stay up to date on the stocking schedule is through the Clear Fork chapter of Trout Unlimited web site.

We're also always looking for volunteers to help with the stocks, as well as stream cleanups. Again, info is available here:

http://cfrtu.org/default.asp?LOC=HOME

As far as Mohican goes (Clearfork River), it will start to get better again in the next month or so as vacations wrap up, and campers, tubers, swimmers and yakkers aren't there as much as school begins; the water temp is also still a little too warm - you might be able to coax the odd brown to rise here and there in the early morning or late evening on various caddis, mayfly or nymph patterns, but they won't really start to turn on again until mid-September as the nights (and days) get cooler, and then, you'll have decent fishing all the way through December as long as weather and river conditions permit.

I remember being down there at the covered bridge a few years back on the day before Christmas Eve and I had my limit within 15 minutes.
(I didn't keep any, just saying that if I had been keeping it didn't take long to get to the limit). My final take for the day was 23 Browns, all between 9" - 13", which isn't exactly Colorado trophy trout but certainly respectable for Ohio inland trout.

Until then, if I were you, I'd look into Pennsylvania as the place to go for trout, or as mentioned here by others, perhaps The Mad, although I have no personal experience with this river.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Like the upper stretches of the east branch of the rocky river, it is a seasonal fishery. Fall to spring offers your best chance. Summer is tougher due to lower water, warmer water, and fewer (if any) trout that made it past the many fisherman who choose to take their limit home after the spring stocking. Best option for summer trout in Ohio is the upper portion of the mad river, west of Columbus. The clear fork (mohican) has brown trout available all year but is made more of a seasonal fishery due to the daily canoe, tube, and beer hatch. Best summer trout options? Michigan or Pennsylvania.
took the words out of my mouth

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a bait fisherman and I use night crwlers as my go to bait. But I rarely keep trout even in Tionesta, PA. I just wanna catch a couple trout right now and let them go. I'm using spin fishing gear and mostly spinners and night crawlers. I might use my fly pole if I can get some flys. I'm trying mohican with the same buddy this week or next. It's not even an hour drive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You might pick up a few at Mohican, although I think the water temp is probably still too warm, and you might run into a lot of activity on the water with swimmers and tubers. Your best bet will be early morning or late afternoon.

Also, don't rule out the possibility of a smallie here and there as well. Fish structure on the opposite bank of the parking area and you could get a few.

One more thing: you might want to check with the site below before you go, it's the USGS water level readings for the Clear Fork below the dam.

Optimum water level for fishing is between 1.0 and 2.0.

Right now it's WAY low, measurement this morning was at .57
That's very low, almost a half foot down. If you're going when the level is that low, my recommendation is to look at targetting the deeper holes and slower water upstream from the covered bridge.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&format=gif_stats&period=7&site_no=03133500

·
Smallie Chasin' SOB
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after the rain from this morning and the last few days the water level should be up. The water level on the black is way up since 10 minutes ago when I just got back from there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been out there twice with a bud. I had caught three bigest one 21in his was 19in released all 4 fish. They where all rainbows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts