Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I haven't been active on here in a while. I've been planning and gearing up for a thru hike of the Appalacian Trail.

Finally stepped off about a week ago and have been having a great time. I even broughy a collapsible fly rod. Going to be tough, but I am hoping to catch a fish in all 13 states the trail passes through.

I made a blog and started an Instagram to document the trip. The links are below if you are interested:

Username: seandrapac
https://instagram.com/_u/seandrapac?r=sun1

https://smd2017.wordpress.com

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Good luck!
If you've never read it, "A Walk In The Woods" by Bill Bryson is about his adventure leading up to and through his shot at the trail. I was reading it on a plane flight and was laughing so hard I was crying.... A good read for sure. Maybe I'll read your book after you've written it!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Wonderful to hear. I've been watching AT Thu Hikers Videos on You Tube for the last couple of weeks. A few early birds started North the beginning of this month. Word is the 1st 30 miles is brutal, but rewarding.
Stay Positive, One foot at a time, Fortitude, Safety and Best Wishes. I'll be looking forward to reading your journals and seeing your trek pics.

Nice pics... Keep the info & pics coming.

77 lb Pack.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? NO WAY HE'S (Naked Savage) GONNA MAKE IT WITH THAT KIND OF LOAD. I'm sure he'll be getting a lighter load with each mountain trek. (Most AT Thru Hikers have loads 20-40 lbs)

ON TO DAMASCUS!!!!

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Hi guys,

I haven't been active on here in a while. I've been planning and gearing up for a thru hike of the Appalacian Trail.

Finally stepped off about a week ago and have been having a great time. I even broughy a collapsible fly rod. Going to be tough, but I am hoping to catch a fish in all 13 states the trail passes through.

I made a blog and started an Instagram to document the trip. The links are below if you are interested:

Username: seandrapac
https://instagram.com/_u/seandrapac?r=sun1

https://smd2017.wordpress.com

Good Luck Sean. One of my clients is doing it but she is doing in piecemeal, She hikes about a month then stop and starts the next year where she quit. She has a few years on you as she in 65. How much training did you do before you started?
She would load her pack and hike the tallest hills in Wooster.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Luck Sean. One of my clients is doing it but she is doing in piecemeal, She hikes about a month then stop and starts the next year where she quit. She has a few years on you as she in 65. How much training did you do before you started?
She would load her pack and hike the tallest hills in Wooster.
Honestly, (and I would not reccomended this), really didn't do much training at all. We do not have anything in Ohio that will really prep you. Cardio training and working on your legs definitely won't though. But you really need to be on the trail a week or two, to get your trail legs under you

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Record high temps of 77 in NE Ohio Friday, 2/24. Hope you got some of that warm sunshine too. Looking forward to reading your posts and learning from your journey. Saturdays forecast is back to normal with a high in the 40's.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies!

Signal went a little low last night when I was trying to reply.

I am heading north bound.
Yep, it is naked savage with the now 60lbs pack, that guy is something else.

I cant wait to hit a good trout stream, i will definitely be in the look out in NC.

My wife kept telling me the weather has been great up in cleveland. They are calling for cold temps down here this weekend at night. I have a pretty warm bag and under quilt for my hammock though and haven't been cold yet. The hard part is just getting out in the morning.

Thanks again for all the support!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good luck on your great adventure. Something I always wanted to do , but could never get that much time away. Now I am too dang old.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Enjoy the adventure! Great start on the Blog, I look forward to reading about your trip.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Honestly, (and I would not reccomended this), really didn't do much training at all. We do not have anything in Ohio that will really prep you. Cardio training and working on your legs definitely won't though. But you really need to be on the trail a week or two, to get your trail legs under you
You should have tried doing the stairs at the Key Center....I used to go 12 flights to my office on occasion.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep thats alex, he was a bartender at corkys

1 - 20 of 46 Posts