Ohio Game Fishing banner
381 - 400 of 405 Posts

· Registered
1,476 Posts
My fishing buddy!…… :) View attachment 503041
I don't leave the house without a Leatherman or a copy of one on my hip. I think I'm on my fifth one. I've destroyed a couple Leathermans and at least two Gerber's but it's just too handy of a tool to be without. My oldest got me a new Leatherman for Christmas so that's what I'm currently carrying.

· Registered
4,153 Posts
I know HF 1x30’s are very popular but I just wanted to say something about Rikon.
My upper Idler pulley was wearing off center and I couldn’t get the bearing off to replace it. I called Rikon and they just tossed a new machine in the mail. Great customer service… they had shipped me a new bearing and wheel for nothing as well. Good people….

· Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Diesel,
Not sure what jigs you use on the Wen but I picked up one of these ( KJ-45 Centering Knife Jig - Tormek ) last year. I like it for a couple reasons but mostly because it will take a wider range of blade thicknesses without creating unequal bevels on the edges.
No, fishn i do not have that one.
Thanks for the heads up, i'll be ordering one shortly.
Here is a sharpening angle finder that i used several years ago. You may find it worthy or maybe not. It's worth checking out, brother. Thanks again and stay sharp.

Very nice with the Rikon. I wish i'd a know that before i bought the HF.
Good luck with it, brother.

· Registered
4,153 Posts
No, fishn i do not have that one.
Thanks for the heads up, i'll be ordering one shortly.
Here is a sharpening angle finder that i used several years ago. You may find it worthy or maybe not. It's worth checking out, brother. Thanks again and stay sharp.

Very nice with the Rikon. I wish i'd a know that before i bought the HF.
Good luck with it, brother.
Thanks for the calculator. I was thinking of getting Tormeks but they make you pay of course….

· Registered
4,153 Posts
My favorite knife is a tiny Benchmade switchblade I’ve had forever. I noticed that even after sharpening on an Edge Pro when I would cut something like cling wrap it would catch occasionally as it was cutting. I believe the reason it was catching was it had been sharpened on stones. The only thing that will sharpen those carbides in supersteels ( 154cm in this case) is CBN or diamonds. To fix this I stropped with 1 micron monocrystalline diamonds on a 1x30 belt and finished with .25 polycrystalline . It now slides through the cling wrap as it should.
I’m sure all of you knew this already but I thought I’d toss it out there just in case.

Here is a link to a video talking about carbide tear out that shows the carbides when sharpened with conventional vs CBN and diamonds. (Not sure I agree with his talk but the pics show what I’m talking about).

· Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Very interesting and informative video, fishn. And no, i did not know this.
I stopped messing with the super steels a few years ago, mainly because the tempering for these steels is so critical. A couple degrees off either way can trash the blade.
All the blades i've made in the last few years were 1084, 1095 or 5160. These steels will give you all you want and hold they're edge very well. They are great to work with and are very forgiving steels. Draw back, they will rust if not properly cared for.
I do have a couple diamond adhered steel sharpening blocks i use only for fillet knives. You are correct about the diamonds as they put an incredibly sharp edge on the knives.
Thanks for the info and keep it coming. I enjoy learning new things and getting other guys perspectives on stuff i deal with daily. 🤙

· The end is near
10,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Very interesting and informative video, fishn. And no, i did not know this.
I stopped messing with the super steels a few years ago, mainly because the tempering for these steels is so critical. A couple degrees off either way can trash the blade.
All the blades i've made in the last few years were 1084, 1095 or 5160. These steels will give you all you want and hold they're edge very well. They are great to work with and are very forgiving steels. Draw back, they will rust if not properly cared for.
I do have a couple diamond adhered steel sharpening blocks i use only for fillet knives. You are correct about the diamonds as they put an incredibly sharp edge on the knives.
Thanks for the info and keep it coming. I enjoy learning new things and getting other guys perspectives on stuff i deal with daily. 🤙
I agree with your love for carbon steel vs. stainless steel. It's easier for me to hand sharpen and in time, it'll show it's age. Nothing like a good patina. Nothing. :)

381 - 400 of 405 Posts