Ohio Game Fishing banner
201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
The clever looking knife pictured above is a Japanese vegetable knife called a "Nakiri Wa." After 8 month's of waiting on a new machine to arrive, and just life in general, it will be done tomorrow or Saturday.
Heat treat, resand, and i'm going to "blue" this nakiri, install and sand the scales and it will finally be done!
Next on the agenda, fix a hole in my boat.

Knife Tool Wood Blade Helmet

Osage orange with a black blade should please my Steeler fan, sister.

·
The end is near
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
The clever looking knife pictured above is a Japanese vegetable knife called a "Nakiri Wa." After 8 month's of waiting on a new machine to arrive, and just life in general, it will be done tomorrow or Saturday.
Heat treat, resand, and i'm going to "blue" this nakiri, install and sand the scales and it will finally be done!
Next on the agenda, fix a hole in my boat.

View attachment 487447

Osage orange with a black blade should please my Steeler fan, sister.
Very nice! I've often wondered what you were up to as far as knife making goes.
Did you carve out the slabs to make room for more epoxy?

·
The end is near
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Guys, I've had this PAL Bowie knife since the late 60's. I found it on the RR tracks while delivering newspapers on my bicycle. The old knife had seen better days. She was all bellied out from someone only using and sharpening the sweet spot. The stacked leather was loose and the sheath was dry rotted.
Back in the early 2000's I propositioned and sent it to Scott Gossman. Scott worked miracles on it. He drilled out the pommel, removed all the leather, cleaned up the tang, reglued all the leather and reattached the pommel. I had another maker make the sheath. Scott also put a sweet edge on her.
These knives were made during WW II.
Wood Tool Knife Hunting knife Utility knife

·
The end is near
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
It's hard to say. They look well made. I'd say some kind of a stainless steel. The coffin handled one on the right appears to have a stag handle. How did you acquire them?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
All 4 look like stag to me. You should be able to research the sheaths by the logo and may be able to research the knife company from there.
I agree with Lazy, the exposed one definitely appears to be stainless.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
This one prolly won't develope a patina. It's more of a stainless steel. My next one however is in 5160 carbon steel and she will show her age in time. I'll turn her onto some red meat.
I assumed it would when I saw the HC in the model number,,,,its still a nice looking carry! I have a hard time making myself carry a nice knife because I abuse them all the time.

201 - 220 of 237 Posts