Ohio Game Fishing banner
181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
That's pretty cool Diesel. I had never heard of that and actually I knew little about stabilizing wood. I had seen a guy who had a closed in cabinet with a heat lamp set up in the bottom. It faced some foil and reflected back. One shelf had wood and another had antlers.
I assume he was just drying it out. Would that work or would there be another step?
I can't answer that for sure, Lazy, i just don't know.
I'm sure it would be fine for drying, but i can't see how that would fortify very light and easily damaged wood.
That's the whole point of the stabilizing tech, to strengthen otherwise, light and fragile wood. When this process is done, one can even buff the scales without damaging them.

thats wayyyyy above my pay rate Diesel! You never cease to amaze me with your talent!
Thanks, PK, but anyone can do it. I pretty much learned to do this from watching relevant videos on you tube. I'd bet ya a beer you can make a usable knife at home with the tools you have on hand. Your a pretty smart fella, i know you can.
If you find yourself bored next winter, give it a try.

·
The end is near
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Diesel, I know you're not gonna want to hear this but my favorite type of material for handles is good ol canvas micarta. Its impervious to almost everything.
You can take a knife with painted metal and micarta slabs, submerge the entire knife in a bath of paint stripper, pull it out and clean it up the next day and after the micarta dries, it'll look just like new. I've done it many a time.

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I don't mind hearing this, my friend, i completely agree with you.
I used to make it myself (not canvas, but clothe or paper) just very difficult to make properly. Your right about the canvas, though, it'll stand up to near anything. The denim micarta is a close 2nd.
I just really like the looks of a fine wood, ya know. I always have been into older styled weapons.
I'll be starting an all black tactical tanto next week that i have black micarta scales for. I bought the scale material for $8. It's just not worth my time and labor to make. Plus, it's an EXTREMELY messy job.

The handles look great on your pictured knife there brother. And i like the aluminum pins.

181 - 200 of 240 Posts