close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone using satellite internet service?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wackyworm, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Was wondering if anyone was using satellite internet service, mainly Starband? We have the most awfull dial-up ( last test performed a 2 Kbps! :mad: )with little to no hope of improvement and cable/DSL not available. I know its not ideal, but as an only option it gonna be almost a must due to our needs for better service. Any comments or opinions would be helpfull. Seems to be a love or hate it thing according to user groups etc. Will be doing something within a couple of weeks.

2. I know its EXPENSIVE, or atleast when I looked into it was. Something like 500 bucks to get the stuff to get you set up and then like 80 bucks a month.

3. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

WACKEYWORM,
    i would strongly suggest not to do it. If you are having speeds like you say with dial up I would try a different dial up provider first. Satellite internet is way to expensive for the horrible speeds you get and so touch and go (Even more so than dial up). On a perfect day the very best speed you could ever get with satellite internet would be something like 120K download and like 18K upload. Not worth the 90 bucks a month in my opinion. I would try a different dial up provider or 2 before stepping in the satellite realm. It’s almost like paying someone more money to give you an even more unstable connection.

just my 2 cents

4. I work for the Post Office and the Post Mistress has satellite on hers and there is one at the supervisors desk that is dial up. The dial up out performs the satellite most of the time. I don't know if it is a problem because of so many people across the nation being on the Post Office site at the same time or if it is just the quality of the service, then again with the Post Office it could just be the equipment.... :(

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Tell me about it!

6. i have a 2 way directway system for sale for 200 if ya want to go that way 937-217-0332 or if u just want to know about how well it works

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

See if ISDN is available in your area from your phone company. Make sure to tell them it's not for business use. It cost more but it slightly faster than normal dialup.

8. Wackyworm,

First of all, I have no information for you on satellite other than it is expensive as others have mentioned. What I would do first is get the phone company to verify that your phone line is in good condition. They can do this to the residence but not inside without a charge to you. Perhaps there is a situation that can be rectified by them (poor splice, etc.). Then I would make sure that your system is running clear of any spyware which will greatly hinder your performance. If you have not done any spyware checking I suggest running Spyware and Spybot for starters. There are several others out there but these are two of the free ones that do a decent job. Also, make sure that you have the latest modem driver for your modem. Sometimes a newer version can help speed you up. If all of these things are in order then perhaps you should try another dial-up provider. Some are noticably faster than others.

Hopefully something here helps.