close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anyone see this 7'11.5" aligator gar, friend sent it to me!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

WANT TO SWIM THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER??

>How would you like for that to get on your line?
    >Here's a little fish that was caught May 3 in the MISS River. It has been
    >certified as the 2nd largest gar ever caught and a MISS record.
    >
    >Earl's fish had a certified weight of 215 pounds, with a total length of 7

>feet, 11.5 inches
    >and a 40 inch girth. Caught in the Mississippi River on 5/3/03 on a
    >homemade jig.

[​IMG]

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I sure would like to catch something that big!

3. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Thats a biggun for sure...Those things are neat fish...Their scales are basically arrowhead shaped bone overlaping each other.

4. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

I would LOOOOVVVEEE to get into fish that big. Looks like some serious reel ripping action. Heck we could even use 30LB flatheads as bait.

I just wonder if he was fishing for the gar or what. To land a fish that big you would have to be somewhat prepared for big fish. A net would be useless, and lipping it, well to each his own. He would have had to drag it up on shore.

I am changing my name to JUSTJELEOUS!!!!

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I'd need a bigger net !!

6. Hard to believe that there are things like that swimming around.

I heard that native americans used the scales for arrow heads and other types of tools. There was a big article in In Fisherman a few years ago about those gar and there was a guide some place down south that fished for them. It said he kept a hand gun in the boat to shoot them with if he was going to bring it in. Sounds like tough critters!

7. Thats a bigun. I have seen a couple swimming around at hoover but not 7ft long.

8. That's one gigantic gar!!!

9. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

The Neches River in East Texas is another place where Alligator Gar can be found. And if I'm not mistaken, that is also where the world record for that species came from. When I was a kid, my grandfather used to take us to the Neches River near Palestine, Texas so we could fish the low-head dam there for flatheads. But truth be told, I'm not so sure I want to tangle with a fish that large that has such a mouth full of teeth.

10. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

That's a big fish. I have some friends that bowfish gar that big on a reg. basis.Down in Texas.

11. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

:eek: Now that's one big monster! LOL ;) I have caught lots of gar out of the scioto. Some pretty decent... and one 40lber out of the OH. River. Broke my line and got away before we could put him on shore. :( I think that if I caught that in my belly boat that it'd be pulling me around... :D It'd be reeling me in instead of me getting him. LOL...... :eek:

12. I don't think alligator gar are found in Ohio but needlenose gar are plentiful; Scioto, Olentangy, Walnut and many other areas I'm sure.

Rick

13. catking

catking Banned

Unlike large cats that grow VERY fast, in fact alot of cats in the 50-60 pound range are only 15 years old or so. But a gar like this is over 100 years old. Last time I read something was on these was they are getting rare? The big short nosed gar down south are plentiful (5 ' and bigger) but these alligator gar are becoming scarce. They are awsome looking neverless...... THE CATKING !!!