Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running lead core anymore? On in-fishermen show been seeing them using rubber swimbaits in other parts of north america catching big toothy fish. Anyone tried it casting or trolling for walleyes here??

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I run leadcore sometimes ...if i feel like trying something different..it works. I've never ran rubber, i'm a worm man.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many colors of lead works for you? Been a tough year for catching eyes looking to try some tactics they havent seen. White bass have been hammering the harnesses/sheephead all over the spoons/ only been getting eyes on jointed rapalas and stickbaits behind jets.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I typically fish a leadcore line straight out the back when I troll. I spool the leadcore on then 50 ft of braid and 20 ft of fluorcarbon. I usually run a stick bait on it and let out all but 1-3 colors left on the spool. It works well some days. Not sure how deep it runs though....

I like running it right out the back because it lets you judge your turns pretty well too.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
How many colors of lead works for you? Been a tough year for catching eyes looking to try some tactics they havent seen. White bass have been hammering the harnesses/sheephead all over the spoons/ only been getting eyes on jointed rapalas and stickbaits behind jets.
======================================================

What areas have you been fishing? Central Basin has been producing fairly consistently over the past few weeks. When you get into the trash fish real heavy, make a decent size move to another area. Meat on harness behind inlines has been a good producer as well as jets. Dipsys have worked for some but not well for others. Spoons have had limited catches. Just follow the Erie Forum and you will get a good idea as to general location.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I have a couple of rod spooled with leadcore...one has 2 colors, one has 3 and one has 5. Usually , in the spring or late fall, I will run the 2 or 3 color with a deep diving crank like Reefrunner or deep Renowsky. Not sure it will keep junk off , in fact, with all the line out...and junk present..could be more of a PIA then anything. I run a 30' leader of mono, let lead out then another 20-50' of mono backing. Lot easier to just run an inline/harnesss back say 30 to 50 feet,IMO.
Like Shortdrift said, either make a major move and get away from the trash. or try speeding up perhaps? or just stick with your stickbait program.
my 2 cents

·
Carp53.65
4,235 Posts
Most people who fish leadcore on erie fish it very early spring or late fall.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
If I have enough bodies aboard, I always run 3 colors of lead with a 50 ft. fluoro. leader and backed with mono. A 700 or 800 RR will take eyes the majority of the time if a fish hits it. Total lead is anywhere from 125-250 feet.
I have be meaning to experiment with some Sassy shad baits from my days fishing Cumberland. I have some in green/black and pearl white in 4" and 6".
So it's safe to say it's alive and well.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
7 colors of lead and orange-chart harness down the chute took the 3 fish we caught Saturday. We've had days where lead was the best program going,need to use it more often.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies the input is much appreciated. Been fishing Lorain/Vermillion sandbar just cant get a consistance program to work yet running our big boards in the evenings and into the nite, changing speeds and leads on jet 40/50s. Hope to get it sorted out soon and can contribute something to the site.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I fished leadcore on inland lakes for at least 15 years.Have abandon it once I started fishing erie out here Geneva-Conneaut.I do think it has fish catching qualities that other presentations don't.It puts something in the mix other depth control presentations dont.If all I fished was depths say up to 40' I would still use it a lot.I have been experimenting with super copper.I have put it in segments of 30 feet and then mono for six,30 of copper etc. for 6 full lengths.That way I can let say 4 lengths hook to board and let it out.Super copper 32# supposed to go about 6-8' of depth per 30 feet at 2.0mph.Much more than leadcore.At 1.5mph with harnesess probably getting about 8-10'per 30 feet.I have caught at least 1 eye on it every trip and it has been usually the biggest one.Just useing it here and there as xtra rod but like it so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts