close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anyone owns an envinrude ficht?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Pancho, Mar 6, 2008.

1. I like a boat that have a 175hp envinrude ficht systems? any issues with that type of engine plz your feed back would be great......

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Check out the Evinrude forum at Iboats.com.

3. Also check out the Evinrude forum here.

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/

I know you want to keep the maintenance up on them!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I had a 2003 250 DI Evinrude. It was a good motor, a little hungry on gas but most 250 are, my new 250 optimax uses 35% less than the Rude did.

Prior to 2001 they had ALOT of powerhead problems I would stay clear of them for sure, this was during the period bankruptcy before BRP took over

What year is the motor????

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

From what i understand, Ficht's are a different breed.

The Iboats forum has a couple of pros and semi pros looking over it. You'll get good, straight advise there.

6. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Ficht motors are 2 stroke DI...direct injected. When I pulled the cowling off my old 250 it says ficht right on it. I know another guys that has an 01 same thing on his, Ficht is a guy who came up with the technology.

7. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Ficht was a German fellow that OMC/Johnson bought the Ficht fuel delivery system off of (for lack of a better term). It had a few quirks to it, mainly holes being melted into the tops of the pistons because of a direct blast of fuel being injected into the cylinder.

BRP solved the problem by putting a small pin, or needlelike device in front of the injector, which turned the fuel into a fine mist befor it hit the piston. This newer system was used in the updated Fichts, and is still used in the E-Tecs.

This is what i was told yesterday by an Evinrude dealer. I know nothing more than what i was told. Don't shoot the messanger if my info is incorrect.

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I do know your right about the fellow, I heard the story from Butch over at Bridges boats, he's a Evinrude Johnson repair ninja.

9. sparkywest28

sparkywest28 sparkywest28

the motors are junk.i had a 225 ficht,blow it up 3 times in 3 years.if u want to waste money buy 1.i got an 225 ho etec now.ive hade it 4 years no problems.they have a deal around january with a 7 year warrenty.gets 2x the gas mileage as a ficht.

10. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

They quit making them and Evinrude went bankrupt not long after all the warrenty repairs and blown motors they had to replace. Should tell you something. Some may say they never had a lick of trouble but many did. I wouldn't take one if it were given to me

11. Most of the 01's had the pin system discussed below, they were and are good engines- anything before that time usually goes just as described below (scary) EXCEPT...some were real good ones! you either got a good one - or a bad one...that make sense?

If it has been used well and hasn't blown up yet- chances are it's a "good one"...if it's blown before and more...got it figured.

I had an 01' "pinned" Ficht- I indeed ran fuel tx every tank and periodically decarbed it. Never had a serious issue- great engine- a 200 HP pushed a 19' ft boat 72 GPS- was SUPER at all ranges, especially responsive hole shot.

Most everyone stays away from the fichts pre 00'- like many DI's of their time.

nip

12. Poncho, If you are still considering this rig and what more information on the motor, get the serial number and I will run it and tell you what warranty work has been done.
    We see our fair share of these motors. The key has been to make sure the updates that were required by the factory have been done.
    Woody @ Cranberry Creek Marina
    1-877-464-0172

13. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Hey Woody , They hittin yet? Ha!

14. Not yet Buddy. I'm going to post a pic in the Lake Erie forum.
    Check it out.
    Woody

15. All the DI manufacturers had trouble when they first came out. Evinrude was loudest of the complainers because of people that got caught in the bankruptcy and dealers left without motors to sell. BRP fixed it and pretty darn quickly and efficiently too.

My 04 225 has been flawless.

Do like Eyestalker says and call him with the numbers.

16. I understand the newer ones (2004 & newer) are good engines. I also understand the older ones are terrible-they were the cause of the OMC bankruptcy. If it is an older one, consider that in the price you are offering for the boat-essentially the engine is worthless and you will have to re-power.

When I was looking for a boat a few years ago, I saw a lot of really "good deals" on '98-01' used boats. Invariably, these had FICHTS on them. Not so good a deal.

Jim

17. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

The good ones started in 01 I had an 2003 and it was a good motor, thirsty but a good motor.