close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone on here know anything about Microwave ovens

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Fish4Fun

    Fish4Fun Relaxing.

    I bought the wife a sharp from lowes last yr sometime. Still looking for the reciept to see if its under warranty but i think iam just over the year mark imagian that.

    It just quit working no power at all, opened it up found blown fuse inside 20A 250v replaced it and all digital displays came back soon as i tried to cook pop goes the fuse. Replaced the fuse agian to see if i could detect anything and the digital display is now missing some spots on the 8 segments. and it pops only when you turn on cook mode. Iam a maintenance man but no mirowave repair guy any help out there. If not sad to say it but its time for a new microwave.
     
  2. Darwin

    Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

    I remember hearing a while back you can still get shocked from a microwave even if it's unplugged? Don't know how true it is but be carefull while working with it...........
     

  3. i used to work on appliances..go get a new 1 and get an amana....
     
  4. Those things are not worth repairing. We have a dual wave GE that is 18 years old and still does a great job without any hot spots. Check out consumer reports for a complete comparison. Don't see how you could go wrong with an Amana as Argee suggested as their large appliances seem to hold up real well and they offer the longest refrigerator gaurantee. They must be doing something right.
     
  5. These guys are right. I had to get a replacement fuse last year. The shop told me if it continues to blow, it's more trouble than it's worth to fix. It seemed fine until I tried to cook something, then it popped again. Had to get a new one.
     
  6. mrfishohio

    mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

    You can get a nice one for about $50 anywhere (digital & turntable) or a yard sale for about $20...... ;)
     
  7. misfit

    misfit MOD SQUAD

    with those problems,it's cheaper easier to buy a new one.

    like shortdrift,i have an old GE.at over 20 years old and still going strong.had to replace the fuse twice in those 20+ years,but have never had any other problems.
     
  8. What he didn't tell you is he tried to cook that tourney winning cat last year while it was still alive. All that twist'n, thrash'n and slime'n caused a malfunction. :p :D :D ;)
     
  9. misfit

    misfit MOD SQUAD

    :p :p that thing wouldn't even fit in my conventional oven :eek: :D ;)
     
  10. We still have and use an original Amana RadarRange. It is over twenty years old and refuses to die. My wife refuses to consider a new microwave!

    Scott
     
  11. Finally! A subject comes up that I know about and hopefully add some insight to. I repair commercial kitchen equipment for a living.

    If the fuse is blown the most likely cause is the interlock/ aka door switch. This is the safety that prevents the high voltage circuit (what creates the microwaves) from operating when the door is open. The switch, actually a series of switches in a plastic assembly is probably shorted. If you replace the fuse and interlock, and the fuse blows again then the problem is likely in the high voltage circuit and troubleshooting that gets to be rather involved.

    That being said, residential units aren't really cost effective to fix unless you really know what you are dealing with. But if I can help, just let me know.

    AND YES, microwaves can shock you with the power off and unplugged. A part of the high voltage circuit is called a capacitor and it can hold a charge for a relatively long time. A few hundred volts to be exact. If you get bit by one, it's nothing like 120 volts out of the wall. It will dump all it's stored energy into you right now and it will hurt all the way to the bone. That metallic taste it leaves in your mouth takes a while to go away too.

    All this reminds me of a guy that I used to work with. He worked in the shop and not on the road. (For more than a few reasons) Any time that he had a piece of equipment that was blowing fuses and he couldn't figure why- he would stick a cut down bolt in the fuse holder, plug the unit into a 100 amp breaker and throw the switch. Whatever component smoked, blew up or caught fire he'd replace and that would fix it. Don't try this at home!!!!!
     
  12. Fish4Fun

    Fish4Fun Relaxing.

    carpless thanks for the info i may pm you. I know about capacitors as have degree in industrial electrical. I will check what you suggested. Yes guys a replacement is cheap just p me off that it only lasted a year i paid good money almost $200 for the thing its stainless steel look and big and junk. No catfish in there but hard to tell what the kids have put in it.
     
  13. I keep telling my kids to toss their cat in ours... BTW it was purchased in 83' and is a GE ;)
    GREAT info carp... :D

    I sent you a PM Fish4Fun
     
  14. ShoreBoundOne

    ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

    301
    0
    721
    If it still looks relitively new....just take it back to lowes and do a exchange for a new one.....they will do it without a receipt if its just a one for one exchange....you really dont even need to have the box it came in. If they give you any crap at all...just ask to talk to the manager...raise a stink and its no problem. My wife works at lowes so i know what they will do for customer service.

    Mitch
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
Anyone have luck catching Longear Sunfish/ Orange Spot Sunfish around here? Central Ohio Fishing Reports Aug 25, 2017
Anyone lose there Honda motor cowl Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports Jun 13, 2017
Thinking about heading to Burt lake , anyone ever been there? Hard Water Discussions Jan 30, 2017
Anyone here do tune ups on older Johnson outboards? Boats and Motors Dec 28, 2016
Anyone here make grips? Guns and Ammo Dec 16, 2016