close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone into watergarden/ponds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alwsfishin, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

We dug this pond in 1988. The oak tree next to it was 8' tall and 1" in diameter. And it still hasn't encroached on it yet. Its 10' x 15'.....24" deep and 36" in the center. The lillies are weak thisyear usually they are 10" in diameterwith 10 to 15 flowers at a time...We've had fish winter over several years...up to 18" in length...several frogs show up and sing all nite...there are underwater flood lites to enjoy the fish while sitting around after hours...

[​IMG]

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good deal, I was just going to the photo gallery to offer some help. I see you figured it out. You posted the thumb.
    [​IMG]
    That is really beautiful, you must be proud of it.
    You can also post several pictures into the same post, just be sure to hit the Enter button in between or they won't line up. :)

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

That reminds me, I went to a yard sale last year, there was a guy there who had a nice little garden pond in which he keep some small alligators he got from FL. They were tearing up the cicadas when they'd hit the water. He said he drives them back down in the fall and turns them loose.

4. dnm

dnm

Thats a beautifull pond! When I grow up and get my own place I plan to have a nice pond :)

5. Wow I do believe he is bigtime breaking the law there. Hope he doesn't get caught. I think it is a felony too. Serious offense. Both catching it to keep (even for a day) and transporting it across state line.

P.S. Alwsfishin, nice pond man. Looks good.

6. Banker

Banker Banned

just wanted to say you have a beautiful pond. I'm amazed at how much the tree has grown. The closest I've come to that was my 40 breeder fish tank that I once owned. I focussed on growning nice plants in it - fish were secondary. its also cool how the frogs just showed up over time. ever catch anyone fishing it :) ?

7. Very nice pond. They sure are alot of work to keep nice. I had one at my old house but instead of koi I had a 15"+ largemouth named Chester and a 10" bluegill named Louie. I had a blast feeding the bass!!! It would eat anything it could get in its mouth.....snakes, mice, bugs, nightcrawlers, creek chubs, and tons of goldfish. Friday afterwork always had a few cold ones and would see how many goldfish he could eat. There were times he would mow through 3 dozen goldfish as fast as you could drop them in. When we moved to a house with a "real pond" they were both transplanted.

8. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

My friend came home from the Navy last year and we did some catfishing. Well he decided to keep a small flathead to eat. Long after he is back in Italy his mom calls me and tells me that I need to come up to her house with a big net. When I get there I find out that he had not cleaned the fish, he just put it in his mom's Koi pond. It was about the size of the pond in the pictures below. Anyway, the cat had eaten all of her koi and she was quite upset. You should have seen me trying to net the fish. Lets just say it took some time. I released the cat in our city park lake. I had no idea Koi fish were so expensive, but i do now.

9. When I had the power of forced labor over Young Whiskers, I got him to dig me a hole for a pond. We put in a rubber liner, and a foundation for a floating island waterfall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built up a little garden around the pond, added solar powered lights and a birdbath, used some of the large rocks we dug out for seats and stepping stones. The water plants are amazingly beautiful, and as long as you keep a balance of plants, fish, sunlight, and shade, its not hard to take care of. Biggest problem lately is the plants are overtaking the pond and need to be drastically trimmed back. Flowering plants are neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goldfish of several varieties keep all year as long as you leave an open space in the ice. These fish started as dimestore sized comets and fantails, and we've added some pearlscaled shubunkins, calicos, moors, to make about 20 altogether. They have spawned every spring, and the ones that manage to stay away from the wild frogs have grown to about 4-6 inches. The largest is about 15 inches. haven't tried Koi yet. Made the mistake of using the pond as a holding pen for catfish bait (chubs and bluegills) and every fish had parasites - had to medicate and quarantine for 3 weeks! Mrs. Whiskers was not pleased at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pleasant and very relaxing to sit out there at night, watch the sunset and listen to the water flowing. The fish will eat out of your hand, and come over to the edge as soon as they see you on the porch. Frog come up from the creek each spring and stay to eat bugs. Had a bullfrog last year that went about 18 inches long, and it caught a bird in flight and drowned it in the pond and ate it. Dragonflies are neat, and there are always new spiderwebs each morning, stretched across the pond over the taller plants and glistening with dew.

10. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

Awesome pond Whiskers.........some nice imported lillie$........

11. How do you keep the water so clear ?
    Alge and ph in my pond is out of control in this hot weather.

12. Very nice. It looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into that. If I may ask, what's the growth rate on the goldfish? More to the point, how long does it take them to get about 6" long. ;) I've been tossing some ideas around for a couple years but haven't decided if it's feasible yet.

13. QUOTE: "How do you keep the water so clear ?
    Alge and ph in my pond is out of control in this hot weather."

REEL, I've attached a graphic of a mechanical/biological filter I built for about $75.

MATERIALS: 20 gallon plastic tub - Rubbermaid or other good polyethelyne; submersible pump to provide 1 complete exchange of water in 30 minutes; hose to connect the pump to an outlet across the pond; fittings for the hose; aluminum expanded metal with diamond openings about 3/8 x 3/4; polyester quilt batting 1/2 inch thick; fiberglass window screen

Using a large plastic tub, cut a hole in the side near the bottom to just barely pass the outlet hoe and power cord. Hook up the hose to the pump, set the pump vertical in the center of the tube, and fill the tub with rinsed lava rock to about 4 inches from the top. Cut a piece of aluminum expanded metal to fit inside the tube on top of the rock. Fit 2 thicknesses of polyester batting on the aluminum, and cover with 2 layers of window screen. If there is a top to the tub, drill holes about 3/4 or 1 inch diameter on 1 1/2 to 2 inch centers in the top. Locate the completed filter box on on end of the pond, and route the discharge hose to the other end. In the picture, I have a cutaway of the "Island Waterfall" I built. It's on a concrete footer under the liner, resting on concrete blocks (paint the blocks black with waterproof paint) at the water level. Drill a hole (1 3/4 diameter passed my hose) thru the big rock base. Stack fist-sized rocks around the hose, and cover the hose outlet with another flat rock that has 4 to 6 3/8 holes thru at the place where the hose will pump water against the bottom of and thru the holes in the top rock. You'll have to play with the rocks to get the waterfall action you want.
    [​IMG]
    What you have is a closed loop system that provides mechanical filtration using the window screen and batting to catch the solids and fines, and the lava rock provides a matrix for biological reduction of nitrates by allowing bacteria to grow in the porous rock. Keeping the filter separated from the discharge by a good distance provides circulation and ensures all the water gets thru the filter. Depending on the load from your fish, dirt, plant matter, etc. you'll need to change the polyester batting (you can squirt it clean with a garden hose on a flat surface) once a day to once every three to five weeks. The lava rock needs no care as long as you keep the batting working. (I use a smaller version of this in the bait tank where we keep chubs, shiners, bluegills, goldfish.)

To keep algae to a minimum, you need to have the pond mostly in the sun at least five hours per day and at least half of the surface area of the water covered with plants (lilies, etc), fertilize plants only with soil tablets and sparingly, keep the total length of all fish to about 10 inches per 100 gallons max, pick out all of the dead leaves and other trash that blows in, feed fish only the minimum (they will eat algae if no other food is available). Suggest you go to the local library and get a copy of "The Pond Doctor" and read the section on the nitrogen cycle. There has to be a robust balance between water volume, fish, fish food, plants, aeration, circulation... PH and other water characteristics can be "adjusted" with chemicals, but I have not used any. At the start of spring, I put in Microbe Lift per the directions (any good pond store will have this) to start the bacteria growth. Don't feed goldfish until the water is above 55 degrees F. Use a net covering in the fall to keep leaves out, and keef the oump running all the time.

MAGIS, most of these fish started as 1 1/2 to 3 inch length, and have gained about 1 to 3 inches per year depending on the breed. Some of the spawned fish from 3 years ago are now 6 to 7 inches long, but not many survive the frogs. Had one goldfish fade from bright orange to white, now it's light pink.

14. Wow ! ! !
    Thanks "Ol' W" for in-depth reply.
    You love your garden.
    Will definately work on this project.
    Thanks again for info.

15. Fish2day

Fish2day member

Been water gardening for 7 years now. Where did you find your "No fishing beyond this point" sign?

Attached Files: