close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone into the Cuyahoga yet?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Huntinbull, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Just wondering if anyone has been fishing the Cuyahoga yet this year. Figured the northerns would run later this year due to later snow melt. also just finishing up the purchase of my first house, so havent had time to do any fishing yet. Let me know how its going.
    Huntinbull

2. Kindlebeard

Kindlebeard OGF Birchbass Champ!!!

The stretch of river I normally fish is running to fast and muddy for me to fish. Hopefully a few more days of no rain will get the levels back down to normal.

3. This is the time of the year to catch them. Probably won't catch any size as there are very few big pike in the 'Hoga, however you should be able to catch 1-4 lb'ers in the slow water eddy areas below the dams at Kent and Munroe Falls. Just twist a treble hook onto some Sevenstrand wire, bait up with a fresh, dead shiner and soak under a float or lay it on the bottom. Works for me.
    If the water is real muddy, (real low or no viz.), fish within 1-4 or 5 feet from shore and just under the surface where there is some viz. The bigger the eddy area the better. Also, the higher the water the better.

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

This is my first official post on the site. So hello world.....
    As far as the Hoga goes, most of you already know I hit it quite often. I was there at the end of last week, before the rain. I got my first 2 pike of the year. I was using Bomber Long A style of rapala. I got a 25.5" pike, and a 12" pike that had some attitude. He thought he was the big dog of the river. He was cool lookin being that small. The river was a bit stained, and maybe a foot or so higher than normal. The flow was also average where I was. The bigger pike missed the bait 3 times before I actually got him hooked. The pike appear to be anywhere from 2-15ft from shore. I will be back at it again after the rain goes away.

flash------------------------------------------out

5. Nice to see ya. There are still some steelie up at the concrete thingie. Have you ever fished for Pike up that way?

6. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I wish I could buy a bite at the concrete thingy. Those steelhead just dont like me.

flash-------------------------------out

7. KSU,

I have yet to catch a pike in Ohio. I have read many of your posts about the Cuyahoga, but just haven't made it our there to try it yet.

If you really want to catch some steelhead, skip the Cuyahoga and drive up to the Grand River, or Conneaut Creek; both have excellent fishing and you can get away from the crowds with a little exploring. The steelhead are spawing heavily now and are pretty easy to find and catch.

Good luck!