close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anyone in the cleveland area with drum brake experience be willing to help me out?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Yanky, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i have what i think is a pretty simple drum brake issue that i would like to tackle myself since the local shops seem to be unable to get me in today. is there anyone in the area who would be willing to give me a hand for free lunch? i know its a long shot but i am quite sure that this is a half hour job at most and i really need to have my car functioning for work.

basically my shoe came loose and instead of sitting in place secured to the backplate and resting against the piston of the cylinder, the retaining clip and whatever it clipped onto broke/came off and all i found in the bottom of the drum is the clip itself. consequently, the shoe is now being pulled outward towards the hub by the tension of the springs and is rubbing on the heads of the tire lugs. i had to limp home last night after trying to jury rig it on the side of the road so it wouldnt rub so bad. im pretty sure i just need the new hardware of the clip and whatever it clips to that keeps the shoe centered and secured so it can move against the drum, but i havent done one of these before.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. If you were closer I would help, but sorry bud, just a little to far.

I can offer some help online though.
    1.) Drive or get ride to auto store to get correct mounting hardware bag (a couple of bucks)
    2.) Take other side hub off and look at how the pads are held in place.
    3.) Install new hardware similar to other side.

3. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

thanks 5cent, thats exactly what i did. my initial diagnosis was correct and i got it all sorted out with a little help from the guys at the parts store. it feels great to do it yourself. quite a feeling of achievement today.

4. Congrats! Definitely feels good when you get something done by yourself!

5. For future reference, AutoZone will print out the directions for most anything. The pages look similar to the old Chiltons manuals...

6. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

you know, ive been meaning to buy a chilton manual for my car. i just havent had the drive to do it yet. it might be time, but i like how parts stores have stepped up their customer service for the little guy. i still feel a little weird asking for help when so many knowledgeable people are around but the results make it worth it. i like doing my own maintenance so it might be time.

thanks for all the responses guys. i love how this site is not always just about fishing.

7. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

If your going to buy a service manual do yourself a BIG favor and buy the factory service manual (FSM) from a dealership or ebay. FSM's contain important info, info that Chiltons manuals leave out (due to copyright issues)....I acutally had a Cadillac dealership tell me it was ILLEGAL to purchase a FSM (lies): the last thing they wanted was an informed customer :mad:

8. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

but are fsm's written in a way that someone who is attempting certain repairs for the first time can figure it out and not be lost?

i would like to have an all inclusive manual but also want one that is written clearly so that i can follow along and not be asking "what is that thing and how do i get it off" sorta questions. chilton has that going for them but it would be nice to have a manual with nothing left out.

9. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I usually go to the library and copy the manuals rather than pay for one. Much cheaper.

10. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i have tried that in the past but have had limited success. the libraries around here rarely have newer service manuals, or the one that i need for my vehicle. i havent checked for this car though so that might be something for me to definitely look into, especially since my library is right across the street from me.