close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone here ride motorcycles?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dnm, Jul 12, 2005.

1. dnm

dnm

Hi all, I have been contemplating getting a bike. It seems like alot of fun but noone Im close too has or rides one. How hard is it to get the liscense? How much does it add to your car insurance? Whats a good starter bike? Thanks

2. Not here, not yet. I have been looking at bikes and so far the Honda VTX 1300 is the one I want if I get a cruiser and the Suzuki SV1000S is the one I want if I get a sport bike.

3. dnm

dnm

Ive been looking at a Yamaha v star

4. I've ridden on and off road most of my life and am currently fighting off the urge to get another roadie. I'd just love to have a new Harley but over the years I've seen way too many people get either busted up or killed riding their street bikes. You can be as cautious as you can but in a split second a woman making a turn while yaking on a cell phone or the 85 yr old that shouldn't be driving anyway can take it all away from you. Ya, I know you have to die from some thing but the way I look at it, why go looking for it? I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but I felt I had to give you my opinion on this. Who knows, if I can't fight off this urge I might still be out there myself, tempting fate. lol

The Honda VTX 1300 sounds like a nice way to go. A friend has one of those and really likes it.

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I used to ride (I've gone through a few bikes) and will be getting back into it in the next few years I think. The thing that got me to stop for a while, was I got nailed by a hit and run driver. With that being said, I've lost 2 friends to motorcycle wrecks (both their faults) so you have to REALLY think hard if it's worth the risk, because you normally don't walk away from a wreck (I got real lucky).

Other than that, they are a blast :D Bike insurance is cheap (unless it's a harely or a custom, and it's still not bad) and passing the endorsement test, that really depends on how good you can pilot a bike. I know guys who took 3 tries to pass, others the first time out. DEFINITELY helps to take the test on a small 4cyl bike if you can, versus like a Roadking or a Goldwing ;)

Looking for a good starter bike? Can't beat the price and reliability of a Honda Nighthawk.

6. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I ride a 98 CBR 600 F3. I have had a few different bikes, and I did not think I would like sport bikes, but man was I wrong. I am addicted, :D I usually ride to work to save on gas. I probably don't actually save any $ though b/c I take the long way through the twisties. I heard the VTX is a bad ass bike. I would get one of those before I got a Harley, b/c HD=slow. The engine in the VTX is the same as the engine in the Goldwing. Wow. I ride around southern ohio backroads alot. So if anyone wants to see some beautiful scenery and some curvy roads let me know. I am actually riding up to Lexington OH next weekend for the superbike races at Mid Ohio. Should be a good time. Happy riding to all and be safe. Nobody is too cool to wear a helmet. I have had too many middle age women on cell phones pull right out in front of me to not wear one. You always have to be expecting someone to do something stupid, so try to keep an "out" in your mind, whether it is into the ditch or sliding on your arse across a parking lot, it sure beats going head on with a cage.

7. ShakeDown

HD=style, retained value, and class. That's the problem with all of these customs these days. Guys spend 30k on em, then lose big because when they goto sell, it doesn't say HD on the title.

But if it's high performance you want, pass up the jap bikes and go BMW or Ducati :D

8. bronzebackyac

I don't think I will see too many BMWs or Dukes racing at mid Ohio next weekend. Jap bikes are performance. Yeah BMW and Ducati does make a nice bike that will last a long time, but when you can get = or better performance out of a $2000 CBR why break the bank. You did hit the nail on the head with the HD comment. They do hold their value and they are classy, just slow.

9. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Just sold my Kaw ZX-12R. Had 35 hp shot of nitro, bonnivelle boxes,Akropvic titanium race system,pcr II box. Rode it out to the Black Hills 2 years ago and raced. Ran upper 180's. Ran standing start 1 mile run at 174 without the juice. Needless to say after no longer being scared of it, I decided it was time for it to go. lol Hope to get a touring bike sometime in the future. The wife had a 250R Ninja to ride with me but she never got into it so we sold them both. Wish I would have kept hers to run the 250 class with. Would advice everyone ( both novice and veteran riders) to take the free State course for riders, great course and you use their bikes.

10. bronzebackyac

Chess, Those are the pinnacle of performance. That thing would scare Nicky Hayden. To bad you sold it. We could go riding. 180 MPH wow! I have been up to 145 and that is fast enough for me. I would give anything to see you on that 250 ninja.lol I have a 2000 VFR 800 in the garage that we are waiting for a title for. Long story, but I may get rid of the CBR and repair the fairings on the VFR and keep it. It is a sweet bike, I would like to do some touring too with my wife, so it would be great for that. My wife is a fiend for riding now. I had to cut here off now that she is pregnant.

11. ShakeDown

I guess I don't equate performance with top speed ;) BMW is probably the best engineered bike on the market. Not many other bikes will handle 50k+ miles and still perform like the day the left the showroom.

12. BigChessie

Everytime I see the kids in town flying around I have to laugh. lol I made an open challenge to anyone in town if they wanted to run. Had 2 takers and I gave them a 2 bike lead with my bike OFF. Never new what hit them, lol My wife said I should not pick on people like that. lol

13. BigChessie

Hey Bronze when ya get both bikes on the road, I'll have to hop on one and take ya out for some twisties! lol

14. bronzebackyac

shakedown, I don't look at performance as solely top speed either. Although it is one of many things to consider. I do however equate it with 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, one mile times, 60-80 roll-ons, handling.......etc. I am not saying they are not great bikes and you will see a Ducati or two in the superbike race, as both are wonderfully engineered. It seems that you are refering to performance and engineering as the same thing. It is one factor, and the Japs have engineered some of the finest engines ever.

Hopefully it will be soon Chess. It sucks when you are relying on someone who is unreliable. lol

15. I heard one of our members just got his temps???? Anyone know who Cant guy???

16. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

erm.. does scooters count?? :p i'm still thinking of getting one to run errands around town in.

17. All it takes is getting your temps and taking a riding course. I think they are like 3 days long. You get your license as long as you don't lay the bike down too often and are safe running the course. My dad, step mom, and brother took the course in Cincy and my brother layed the bike down on one of the drills and still got his license. I think as long as you aren't riding like an idiot you will pass and get your license. If you don't want to do that you get your temps and take a driving test just like getting your drivers license. I want to get my motorcycle license but since I won't be getting a bike anytime soon I'm going to wait.

18. bronzebackyac

You don't have to have a bike to get your license. Try to find someone with a automatic scooter or a small dual sport bike. It makes the course very easy. I took mine on my 94 yamaha 225 dual sport I use to have. Then when you get the chips to buy a bike or the opportunity presents itself you can be ready to go.

19. dnm

dnm

I went to ask powersports today and those guys were awesome! Im going to start investigating the temp process, then the basic and advanced rider courses.

20. I think the most esteemed ksufash just aced his temps!! and he looking forward to his new scooter and he is going to be my riding buddy . I have a yammy 180cc scooter. I am the only hog on a scooter!!