close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have one of the new Quantum Energy spinning reels?

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by BowKat04, Oct 3, 2007.

1. BowKat04

BowKat04

0   0   0

Anyone have one of the new Quantum Energy spinning reels? Would like to get one of the 10pti or 20pti.

2. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

0   0   0

I do.
    I have the 10 and LOVE IT! I can't say enough good things about this reel.

I was using a sahara and a solstace, both shimanos, and while working fine initially, the sahara simply binds way too much. The solstace works fine still, somehow.

I kayak fish and my stuff gets wet, sometimes accidentaly, sometimes not....

The Quantum cost me 160 including tax. I figure I spent 110 bucks on 2 shimanos that really weren't all that great. Why keep wasting money?

My quantum has been submerged, fought good sized smallies, and survived my man handling with zero problems.

The drag is the best part of the quantum. The bail is great too. The ratio is probably the worst IMO, I wish it was 6.0:1 instead of 5.3:1. It hasn't affected me negatively, just a preferance of mine.

I have had 0 problems with mine so far. I couldn't say that about my shimanos by this point.

3. GarryS

GarryS

0   0   0

You might want to call Shimano and tell them the problem you are having with their reels. I had a problem with one and they replaced all the reels that I had like that. I had 3 of them. Great customer service.

GarryS

4. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

0   0   0

I agree have three saharas myself and have not had one problem. I'm sure the quantum is a nice reel though I have heard nothing but great reports; same with the high-end diawa and shimano reels.

5. edge13

edge13

0   0   0

i have both a shimano stradic and a energy. the quantum is head and sholders better in my opinion.

6. shwookie

0   0   0

Shimanos binding is well documented fact. I have 2 shimano's, 1 binds, one doesn't. It didn't seem worth it to risk buying another shimano.

I looked at the stradic and held it and the quantum side by side, I'm pleased with my choice.

7. bkr43050

bkr43050

0   0   0

It didn't sound to me like Garry was trying to persuade you to buy Shimano over the Quantum. I think he was merely suggesting that you contact them about the problem on your existing one. You may end up with a new one replacing it or repairing it at their expense. It would be worth a shot in my opinion. You have nothing to lose.

8. shwookie

0   0   0

I don't disagree with that statement. I have already gone that route though.
    At this point it will sit. I've read online on how to fix it, I just haven't needed to do so yet. Probably save that for the off season.

9. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

0   0   0

Anybody have a number for shimano? I stepped on my reel handle and would like to get a replacement for it. Its the 750 fb sedona.

10. shwookie

0   0   0

1-877-577-0600
    Thats the number from my solstace box.

11. GarryS

GarryS

0   0   0

Thats all I was trying to say.. Never hurts to try... Thats all I buy now is Shimano's. I'm sure everyone has had problems with all types... Just my 2 cents...

GarryS

12. majikarp

majikarp

0   0   0

i have two and i prefer the higher end shimanos. the ball ALWAYS open up in me if i don't pay attention to it while i'm fish

13. j-fox.4

j-fox.4

0   0   0

i have the pti30 and i will be replacing the reel following this season. it's on the heavy side and over 60% of the time the line does not catch on the roller. when the line doesn't go onto the roller, it stays on the bail..so if you set the hook on a fish and the line isn't on the roller, the bail flies open.....fish gone. it's happened to me several times this season. so after every cast i have to check my reel..pain in the ass.

i also have a quantum catalyst 20 spinning reel.. this reel is very nice. i haven't had any of the bail problems with it. i'm satisfied with this reel.

so if you're going to buy the pti spinning reel..don't buy the 30. go for the 20 or 10.

you can't go wrong with the quantum baitcasters, but the jury is still out on the spinning reels in my book.