Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
My son-in-law is a Minister and he and his family also use Christian Healthcare Ministry. They've had occassion to use the insurance once before for some surgery that their son needed, and it covered most of the costs. Last month my son-in-law was diagnosed with Type B Lymphoma and has a tumor that is on his spine and rib. He just started Chemo and one of the 4 drugs they are using costs $16,000/dose. We are paying very hard for his recovery, and hoping that his insurance works out. We don't know yet because it takes awhile for the claims to get processed, but the hospital where he is being treated and the Doctors told him that Christian Health Ministries was accceptable to them, and normally covers these types of healthcare costs.
Backwater, somehow I missed your post. So sorry to hear about your SIL. My cancer was caught somewhat early and diagnosed between Stage I and II.
Is he looking at 7 weeks of treatment? My chemo was the Cisplatin. I think it's about as strong as your body can take.
I will add him and your family to my prayers.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hello Saug thought I'd pass along this tidbit regarding health insurance. Not sure how much stock you put into CR mag but IMO they're one of the goodguys left in the world of consumer help. Check them out and their "confusing medical bill" advise team they advocate as having and say they can quickly tell you how to deal with it. They say 1/2 of all medical bills contain errors (as we can all attest to).
Sorry this is happening to you and the Mrs. The health care world is completely broken.
You can find them at CR.org/stayinformedtoday . A 1-year subscription is under $20 (&no to everyone reading this, I'm not affiliated).
David

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
EnonEye- Thanks for the info. I already have went many rounds with the billing departments and it's agravating. I will look it up as I am sure there's a lot to learn

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
When we retired in 2015 my wife needed insurance for 2 years. We went to marketplace and found an inexpensive policy with a high deductible. At the time we had the cash to cover any expenses that could have come up for the 2 years. She's active and very healthy so we just went with it. Fortunately for us all went well.
More and more we hear of people who are doing okay financially but have to continue to work just to cover health care costs. It's a shame the system of health care is so screwed up.

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Sure thing Lazy 8, I would like to know negative parts and experiences as well. It's part of making a choice.
Once again, with your blessing Southernsaug. My wife who is younger than me is in a similar situation and is currently using Cobra. If you don't use the exchange or take this faith based route, are there any other truly affordable options?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My wife exhausted her cobra.I think we're leaning towards the Christian sharing group right now. The market place was really high. The cheapest we could get is almmost $800.00 a month. We can't use the tax credit becasue I have an HSA that supliments my medicare premium. I know of no other options.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts