Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's insurance is about to run out after she retired ( finished 18 months of COBRA) and she isn't elgible gor medicare yet. We thought we'd just go to the market place and find a policy, but holy cow are they high priced. I been doing some digging and I found these cost sharing groups, like Medi-share and liberty, that are faith based. My research has given me mixed reviews and at one moment they seem like a fair option and then I find a bad story and I think no way. I was just wondering what kind of alternatives to health insurance the forum members have experience with. She will be medicare eligible in two years. Tell what all you have done for health care expenses

·
Registered
76 Posts
Always explore health insurance before you retire especially before 65..... who wants to pay 1000 a month for health insurance? Add a spouse and crazy$.
Might be worth it to get a job at McDonald's or Walmart to.get medical for 2 years.
Sorry to bare bad news.

·
Gary B
86 Posts
We use Christian healthcare ministry. Very reasonable and we had to use it recently and it went very well. They also have a pre-existing condition clause though if you have anything currently going on.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hogwobbler, you are right, but this retirement wasn't exactly a choice. Due to a NDA I can't explain. We were fully aware of what was coming. The temp job is an option, but many places won't offer insurance anymore for part time and niether of us want to work full time again. We're not that desperate yet, but it's an option. I would probably go back to work before her. I have a standing offer for a job whenever I would want. I think at this point we will just start a HSA and roll the dice. Most health care providers discosunt private pay and we can just cash pay for what we need now. If something big happens we negotiate and make payments. The thing is at 67, I am not at all wanting to re-enter the job market.

wivywoo, i will check them out

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohio's public retirement system does not cover spouses. You can put them on your plan if pre-medicare, but you pay the full premium. The full premium is around $1400.00 per month and the market place has cheaper plans. I am on medicare anyway, and get a HSA allotment to pay my premium. I can use that, but I would only have $60.00 a month left to pay towards her needs and I use that for my deductable and prescriptions.

The system is so broken there's no fixes.

·
Gary B
86 Posts
hogwobbler, you are right, but this retirement wasn't exactly a choice. Due to a NDA I can't explain. We were fully aware of what was coming. The temp job is an option, but many places won't offer insurance anymore for part time and niether of us want to work full time again. We're not that desperate yet, but it's an option. I would probably go back to work before her. I have a standing offer for a job whenever I would want. I think at this point we will just start a HSA and roll the dice. Most health care providers discosunt private pay and we can just cash pay for what we need now. If something big happens we negotiate and make payments. The thing is at 67, I am not at all wanting to re-enter the job market.

wivywoo, i will check them out
Yeah it is amazing the discounts they give you when you tell them you are self-pay. That's why insurance costs are so much because they charge these exuberant amounts to the insurance companies so they can write off what they don't pay.

·
Bag'em and Tag'em
975 Posts
I had an MRI for my shoulder a month ago WITH insurance $6500 my cost $3550 after insurance. The local "Imaging Center" $350 for the MRI. Here is the kick in ass. My surgeon wouldn't "recognize" that MRI if I didn't use the hospital he is linked with. Go Figure!

·
Just practicing my cast
6,086 Posts
I may have someone that can help you out
My wife is a doctor who has helped people out with that issue before. I’ll see her tonight after she done with work and meeting. If you would like to talk to her about Your options send me a PM with you phone number and I’ll have her give you a call….

·
Registered
206 Posts
We use Christian healthcare ministry. Very reasonable and we had to use it recently and it went very well. They also have a pre-existing condition clause though if you have anything currently going on.
My son-in-law is a Minister and he and his family also use Christian Healthcare Ministry. They've had occassion to use the insurance once before for some surgery that their son needed, and it covered most of the costs. Last month my son-in-law was diagnosed with Type B Lymphoma and has a tumor that is on his spine and rib. He just started Chemo and one of the 4 drugs they are using costs $16,000/dose. We are paying very hard for his recovery, and hoping that his insurance works out. We don't know yet because it takes awhile for the claims to get processed, but the hospital where he is being treated and the Doctors told him that Christian Health Ministries was accceptable to them, and normally covers these types of healthcare costs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
give SideCar health plan a look. Sounds similar in that it's a defined payment plan. One of there examples goes something like regular Dr. visit, plan pays $90. If it's more you pay it, if less, good for you , you bank it. That's not exact I'm going from memory. May god help me (LoL).
I considered it but ran out of time before enrollment date.

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
With the consent of the OP, may I take the liberty to ask for the negatives of this concept?
I will delete this post upon request.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We had liberty health share for eight years before thankfully going on Medicare. The first four years were not bad, you have to do some extra paperwork, and some places would not except it, but they paid within 6 months, and for all our wellness check ups. The last 4 years were a nightmare, it was hard to get them to pay, sometimes taking a year and a half. They always had an excuse. I think there are some good health shares, and it was really our only option, the last time we got a price from the market place, it was going to be $1,800 a month with a $20,000 deductible, and no one in our town was in network.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts