Anyone have experience with a Bobcat?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lg_mouth, Oct 16, 2008.

1. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

This is the heavy equipment, not the animal!

I am lookiing at clearing some land for Spring food plots, but don't really want to pay for a dozer to come in ($100+ an hour). I was curious if a Bobcat would do the trick? I would be moving some piles of leftover limbs and stuff from logging a few years back, large briar patches and saplings. I want to work around the existing trees (very few). If anyone could tell me the limitations of a Bobcat, I would appreciate it.

Lg_mouth

2. like riding a wild horse . find a guy with a small dozer or rent one??????? lot faster and a better job .

3. yes, a skid steer would be able to clear land. Depending on the terrain, I would look at using a Rubber Tracked skid steer. Also, they make attachments that will make the job a lot easier, like a hydraulic brush cutter, or mower for the front.

4. lg_mouth

Terrain is relatively flat. Have to go down a medium grade logging road to get to the areas, but after that, it is relatively flat.

I was going to look into the tracked ones. We have a local rental business, so I will be talking to him at the end of winter to see what the prices are.

With the wild horse comment, does that mean this equipment is a little tough to control?

Lg_mouth

5. You would get alot more done with a dozer or a full size backhoe that a bob cat ;)

6. firehawkmph

firehawkmph Retired Firefighter

Lgmouth,
    A GOOD operator can do the job with any of the above mentioned machines. If you rent one sometimes the learning curve takes a bit longer than you think. The skid steers can do a lot of work but take more practice to be proficient on them. The controls can be a little touchy with a heavy hand. Takes some finesse, and also takes a good understading on how the machine works to accomplish the task at hand. You might try and find a local guy whom would come out for a half day or so. Someone good on a machine can get a lot accomplished in a short amount of time.
    Mike Hawkins

7. lg_mouth

The only local guy I would trust is way too busy to take my small job. He is busy because he is the best. I have worked with one other local before and was not happy with his performance. A guy I know's dad does some small dozer work, but he hasn't been the most trustworthy guy to deal with. I have past experience with him through other business.

I am not familiar with any piece of heavy equipment.

Guess I will just have to start looking around for someone that isn't local. I will talk to the rental owner and see if he can give me some names and numbers.

I hate to put too much into it, it isn't that big of a job.

Thanks for the info guys.

Lg_mouth

8. Good idea talking to someone in the area, but really this isn't like digging around the foundation of your house, or something that serious. It is out in the middle of the woods. As long as you aren't making a 5 acre plot, you would be fine.

Wild horse, yes, skid steers in general are a little rough to operate due to the short wheel base. No suspension, you feel everything. A big tracked skid steer will move dirt, and are powerful.

I'm sure you won't have to look real far to find someone who can run something that you rent.

9. Don't let these guys scare you! After 10 min on a skid steer you'll be fine! I rented one to flatten out 2 dumps of topsoil in my yard and rockhound it and it took me less than 3 hours.

They are FUN to drive and easy too..........don't be scared, especially if it's going to save you money. Hell, if you lived closer - I'd offer to operate it for you for FREE just because they are so much fun to drive!!!!

10. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Rent an S175 size wheeled machine or a T190 size tracked machine with a toothed bucket and a tiller attachment. The machine will easily move the brush and logging remnants- just push it aside away from the ground you wish to prep. Once the area is cleared of the debris, run the tiller through the area down to about 2" and level the area. Once that is done, you're good to go. Wheeled machines may run about $200 a day and the tracked machine may run an extra $100. The "wild horse" reference is true for an inexperienced operator. The machines are fine once you understand how to handle one. Look on any jobsite around and the chances are extremely high that you'll see a Bobcat or at least a skid-steer on the site. They are extremely versatile. For the size area you are talking about you should be able to prep the plot in a day, maybe a weekend if the learning curve is steep. Clearing a couple acres a day of terrain like yours is easy once you master the fear of the machine. KenG here ran a Bobcat for years in his business and can attest to the capabilities.
    Have at it! You'll have a blast doing it too.
    UFM82

11. lg_mouth

I am not going to do this until late winter/early spring, so I will talk to the rental business then. I will see if he minds me just tooling around in his parking lot to see if I am competent enough to run on the machine. I believe I would have a ball doing it. I love working with my tractor, but it is too small to do this type of work. If, for some reason, I can't get the hang of it, I will look elsewhere for someone who can do it for me.

Thanks for the info guys and letting me know the Bobcat/skid steer could do the job.

Lg_mouth

12. bobcat will do fine. i'd recommend a track machine or have tracks put on a rubber tire machine. the attachments are the key. talk to your rental guy and see if he can get bobcat to deliver him the right attachemnt if he doesnt have it. like a grapple would be the ticket.

13. I've used a bobcat on my place several times. It will clear brush and small trees with no problem. I also know for a fact that a guy can get a bobcat stuck... Twice if you work real hard at it.

I cut a road through 1500' nasty brush and broken tree tops left over from an ice storm. I put the bucket into the ground about two inches. I went about 25' before bogging down. I set the bucket on top of the ground and made my first pass. It was so thick you couldn't tell a machine had just went through. After about four passes, I had a dirt road.

Go for it. Its fun...:)

14. turkeymikey

turkeymikey turkeymikey

I agree totally with you BoatNut.. IMO I would NOT EVEN consider ones with just wheels. If you get into something soft you are in some real trouble. When they bottom out you need something big to get them out. I know this. Also the grapple hook on the buchet is essential if your moving brush.

15. Lg_mouth, where you need this work done? I have a bob-cat with, tracks on 90% of the time, and quite a few differant attachments.

16. lg mouth, im a operating engineer and did this very thing two weeks ago. 10 years before i cleared with a track loader. this year the slapling and sticker bushes have grown back in all the trails. i brought a bobcat with rubber tracks home from work and rented a brushcat. this thing was awesome it would just chew trees and brush up to 3 inches and turned it into mulch leaving only a inch stump. i would with out a doubt get a rubber track machine, i wouldn't even try it with a rubber tired machine. bobcat makes a t190,t250,t300, or a t330. the t250 would do your job no problem. i had a t300 with a 6 ft brushcat and i have some steep slopes, but had no problems. personally i wouldn't recommend you to rent a dozer because as said before the learning curve will take to much time, cost more, and you can't pick a dozer up with a fullsize pick-up and save from paying top dollar for a tractor trailer to move. if you have any questions pm me and i can help answer them for you.

17. Bobcat, skidsteer, whatever make sure you get one with tracks!! The tracks help keep a novice out of trouble. I am not an expert by any means but with an hour or two you can master it. If you can find someone with expirence to run it what may take you all day he could do in a couple hours.

18. Here is a pic or two...

Bobcattin'
    Putting in a culvert pipe
    Clover growing on the road I put in.

19. lg_mouth

Thanks again guys for all the advice. I will definitely get one with tracks. There shouldn't be any problems, but I am notorious for missing the obvious with these sort of projects!

Papa, I PMed you.

Thanks for the pics, they got my blood flowing. I am truly anxious to see what kind of activity I will see once I get a couple decent plots growing.

Lg_mouth

20. lg_mouth

I just looked up a grapple hook and I would say that would save me some time moving the larger pieces of brush. These are things I never would have thought of.

lg_mouth