close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone got the itch?? Colder days are comming!!!!

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by KSUFLASH, Oct 22, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I was at Gander Mtn. yesterday and they had the Vexilars out for sale. I kinda forgot how much I paid for mine, but was reminded by the price tag....Worth every penny in my opinion. I would rather leave home without my ice auger than my vexilar.

I currently have a Shapell 2000 2-man shanty. It is very light an portable. Now that I am getting more and more stuff to take out on the ice, I was considering a different solution for an ice shanty. Wanted to get your guys feedback on it. The reason I don't like the shapell is due to when you pull your stuff on the ice, the lantern has falled off, minnow bucket spills off, auger falls off, etc... I was thinking more along the lines of a 1 man shanty that is a sled style so that I can carry all my stuff on the ice without spilling it all over the place.

flash------------------------out

2. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Ben, I bought one of those kids teddy bear nets you use to put in the corner of a room and toss their stuffed animals up into to keep them put up. It is the perfect size for a 2 man shanty. I put tie downs in each corner of the shanty to the net and put the net over my gear. I have hauled a lot of stuff on that shanty and nothing falls off even pulling it up hill like at Presque comming off the ice. Just a suggestion! I too am getting a 1 man frabile this year that just folds up and has no assembly. The 2 man older frabile I have is a bear to put together by yourself.

Gene

3. As soon as deer season is over I start looking forward to ice fishing. Can't wait. We are planning a trip to Presque last of Jan or first week of Feb.

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have a 1 man frabill i like it but it is a snow plow it has almost killed me more than once ben helped me drag it one time at long lake looked like i was going to have a heart attack i came across a set of x-contry skis that i am going to put on it snd see if that helps but it pulls fine with no snow on the ice.......................jim :cool:

p.s.............your buddies will want to put all their crap in it to because they have the 2 man and their stuff falls off so you end up pulling 2 peoples stuff out :mad: just a heads up ;)

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

We should have a simple get together at someplace close like Mosquito. Meet at the cemetary or out from it somewhere. Last year there was always a pack of guys a long ways out to the southwest of the cemetary lot. Its a fun lake, even if the ice fishing wasnt so good last year, hopefully things will be different this year.

6. Hey Ben, I have the same ice shanty as you and had the same problem the first time I took it out. I wanted to get another one but I just bought it and did not feel like spending more money for a new one. I just got one of those Otter sleds at the end of the season when they were giving them away and just tie it on to the back of the ice shanty. You dont even know that you are pulling it and there is plenty of room for everything without having a trail of falling gear from the parking lot to the first fishing spot. Nothing can kill a fishing day than watching your minnows freeze to the ice after the bucket falls off the shanty when you already walked a 1/4 mile to a honey hole. :mad: After I got the sled I have not lost a minnow or a piece of gear....JIM

7. i am new to ice fishing, i,ve only been three times. my wife gave me a two man frabil for st.v's day last year and i got so tied up with work i never used it. tell me more about the sled. any other tips would be of help.

8. steelhead1

steelhead1 Pikie Bay

I have a nice two man shanty, but like most of you have said its rough to pull.

Gotta do something about that this year.

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I have a wonderful one man shanty. stuff doesn't fall off, pulls great in snow under 5in deep, very light-weight. Sometimes i carry other peoples stuff just so i know my shanty is still back there.

10. Got back from the UP late friday nite. Three inches of snow still(last sunday-Gaylord area and north) on the ground from sat. nites six inches.Snow off and on all the way to the cabin,Yuck! Nice weather monday on.Did not see any ice though maybe a deer season!
    I can here little bay denoc freezing from here in akron!!!!!
    Steve R
    The frabil is ready!