close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone good at math?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by truck, Sep 22, 2005.

1. My grandsons basketball nets base is plastic.The size is 48x36x10 inches,anyone have a clue about how much fluid it would hold?Daryl

2. I calculated 17280 cubic inches and used the conversion factor of 61 cu. in. per liter to get 283 liters. Converting back to English, that is very close to 75 gallons.

3. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

74.805 gallons of water.

74.804 gallons of Old Milwaukee Lite.

4. Thanks that is a lot of antifreeze :D

5. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

I figure I could come over and pee it in during the OSU game and I'd have her filled by game's end as long as you are buying the brew Truck? :D

6. That would take alot of beer ;) LOL

7. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

48"x36"x10" divided by 231(cubic inches per gallon) = 74.8 gallons. That's over 600 lbs if it's water. Now, if it's on a train going 63 mph 79 miles from Chicago ..........

8. A word of advice, if you fill the base with water, it will freeze and split open and come spring youll have a worthless base to hold up, most folks I know fill with playground sand. Just my .o2

Salmonid

9. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

diesel fuel won't freeze nor will brine water.

10. Fill it with sand only! Even filled with liquid it is still not heavy enough during a storm. Also, even though you use antifreeze and water, somehow the mixture finds a way to freeze, and also after a year or to the base will leak somewhere. I have had several, from cheap ones to the best, and sand is the way to go.

Rich

11. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

Which leads to the age old question-
    Which weighs more-a pound of water or a pound of sand?

Winner

12. wet sand weighs more than water or sand :D

13. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Ok Walter, does a pound of wet sand weigh more than a pound of dry :p

14. Let's see...75 gallons of diesel fuel at $3.00/gallon will run you around $225 to fill it up. I think at that price you'd have been better off to put in a permanent hoop!

15. Don't use any liquid...just sand. Ours had a very slight leak, which went unnoticed, and the whole thing darn near fell on my new car last summer.